Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was looking for a basic 1911 that has a superb fit and finish and would make a great basis for a full house custom I would buy a Mil Spec Springfield gun. (Yes it will cost more to build into a F/H custom than a Kimber but you have more options while doing so)

I have had a dozen or so go through the shop in the last couple months and all have been exceptional pistols. This one I just had in the shop for some minor reliability work, add a short Vedecki and set the trigger at a crisp @ 4# and a couple of small parts changed including the hogue grips. At well under $600 retail, for the base gun, they are a excellent value.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-04 20:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice (as usual)!!!

Dane, I was also thinking of doing a full-house conversion, but with a Colt 1991A. In my neck of the woods, they run about $100 more than the Springfield Mil-Spec. Have you had an opportunity to work on a 1991A? What are your thoughts on them??? If they were priced equally, which one do you prefer??? Since this is going to be a full-house conversion, I'm trying to decide if I should I save some $$$ and get the Mil-Spec, or spend the extra money for the Colt...

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Colt over Springfield? In both cases I'd buy Springfield and spend the extra $100 to fix the dust cover and front strap if that were important to you. (it is to me)

No Series 80 parts either which is a plus.

·
Registered
85 Posts
>>Since this is going to be a full-house conversion, I'm trying to decide if I should I save some $$$ and get the Mil-Spec, or spend the extra money for the Colt...
---------------------------------------------

Considering how much a full house custom depreciates....get a Colt. It will pay dividends.

If it isn't a Colt, it's just a copy. ;)

[/quote]

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Springfields were redesigned from mil spec in the 80's to give a flatter front strap to checker and a heavier dust cover to hold the optic mounts on. Both are over sized compared to Colt/ Kimber, ET AL. Holsters have to be made specifically for them.

I cut down both down to original specs. Easiest place to see the extra material is the flat in front of the gips on the gun above.

A full house custom gun from a known maker is worth what you put into it. Doesn't matter if the gun is a Springfield, Colt, Kimber or spec gun from CNC or Nowlin.

Colt Series '80 would be the last of those guns I would buy given the choice if I were buying a BCP, Heinie or Garthwaite.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dane did his special magic on my SA above and I can hardly wait to shoot it. Thanks Dane for your knowing what changes I needed before I did, it looks great! The plan is to shoot it for a while and send it back to Dane for more magic and comforting changes. Dane, a special thanks for the Hogue Grips gift, unexpected but very gracious of you to dress the gun up! Now to watch out for the big truck to show up with my new Dane Special 1911, cannot wait to see the grips.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FortyFive on 2001-07-05 10:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
285 Posts
A few weeks ago I was able to do a side-by-side comparison of a Mil-Spec Springfield with a similar Auto Ordnance (one of the ones built under Kahr's ownership).

The AO was clearly more "authentic" (tiny sights, lanyard loop on the MSH, mil-spec frontstrap and dustcover, wide spur hammer) and seemed to have fewer machine marks inside. Surprisingly, the AO came with a parkerized Metalform magazine with a removable base instead of something cheaper. The Springfield was better finished externally -- the slide markings on the AO looked sloppy and the MSH looked like it came from a bin of mil-surp parts.

Most interesting to me, though, was the fact that both pistols were priced exactly the same: $499. I don't see how Auto Ordnance hopes to sell many pistols when they're burdened with a bad reputation and they aren't willing to undercut the competition.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That pitting on the g/s and hammer?
Try oil :roll: No pits. And no, the mods aren't done to make the frame or dust cover smaller, neither was the gun melted.

Basic gun with a little tune-up. I like it myself :grin:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks Dane,
I'm going to do a custom project leaving it with a Mil Spec look but pop in a match barrel, reliability, dehorn and trigger job. That's about it.

I can do this on my SA Mil Spec or my Colt 1991A1 (doesn't sound like your a fan of the series 80's Colts but don't want it to go to waste either). Which would you do the above modifications on and which would you leave for a full house custom job in the future?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-07-05 23:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
My SA Mil Spec came back from Dane today and it is a beauty! The new grips really give it a touch of class. Danes attention to detail shows on the smooth trigger and just the feel of the gun. Everything he does to make a gun better is on the inside mostly. It will be shot this weekend or early next week and I am just happy than hell!
I plan to keep the gun simple on the outside with good internals, that is where it counts.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forgot to mention :grin: This may be a mil spec gun but at 10 yards they'll go into the same hole and at 50 yards bowling pins were falling a majority of the time.

The more I shoot this one, as is, the more I want one :grin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.