Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if, when a Bar-Sto barrel is fitted to a 1911, will the stock barrel still be able to be used in that pistol? I guess what I'm asking is if the material is all removed from the barrel during fitting, or is the slide modified as well?

I currently own one pistol with a Ed Brown match barrel, and the stock barrel is no longer compatible with the slide.

Seems as though it would be nice if the two barrels were interchangeable, to allow accuracy comparison, or even if one wished to sell the gun but keep the match barrel for "semi drop-in" use in another 1911.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hilton,

My curiosity was actually more along the lines of why the factory barrel is no longer compatible with my slide. The local gunsmith who fit my barrel actually took some metal from the slide to accomodate the wider hood area on the match barrel. Fit and lockup are tight, and accuracy is excellent, but I was surprised to find out the factory barrel no longer fits the slide. It was my impression all the metal would have been removed from the barrel itself.

The work was done some time ago, smith no longer working on guns, and I have since given away the factory barrel.

Tim

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Material should come off the barrel and not the frame or slide. Asked to have both fitted if you want to save the barrel. I will happily refit an original barrel to my specs for drop in and reliability while doing a match BarSto. Smart thing to do IMO. It's normally about 15 minutes work or nothing at all to make sure the thing will be reliable.

Bottom line? Both should interchange, no problem.

While certainly not a match fit switching fitted barrels from one gun to another, if the guns are of the same manufacture and same time period there usually isn't a problem. It may be a tiny bit too tight or a tiny bit too loose (normally).

Out side of a same/same switch, it is catch as catch can....try it! Most likely it will work. But I have swithed a BarSto in an out of several Series 80 guns of my own and wouldn't hestitate to suggest you try it yourself. For $300 that you would spend having me put one in I wouldn't let one go in a gun trade unless I had to!

I pulled a BarSto out of one of my old Series 80 Colts a couple days ago and it was tight as a tick in a New Kimber I was playing with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-08-29 03:50 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.