Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good target to shoot with 45ACP JHP that will demonstrate the destruction power of guns?

How about a target for a 30-30 rifle?

Going shooting tomorrow, and bringing a friend and his son. He wants his son to see firsthand what bullets do to objects, so that he can relate to what they would do if a person got shot with one (the son has a friend who likes to talk about guns, and he is getting real curious about guns). His son is about 8 yrs old.

I plan on going over the safety rules, and telling him to tell an adult if he sees a gun laying out or someone (another kid) is playing with one without an adult around.

Any other suggestions?

thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You could also take a shotgun and chunk of plywood which is impressive. Plastic gallon water bottles. Good expanding bullets. I would also us something safe & solid like 4x4, et where the boy could see the effects in a hard object.

Out here my son was with me on varmint hunting trips when he was five and walked with us when possible. He knew when that something that was shot would not get back up in a "cartoon" fashion, and what a bullet would do. It was worth it to have a friend carry my stuff while I carried a tired boy back to the vehicle. :smile: Mike

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Grapefruits, cantaloupes, anything like that and a really great one for ultra-high velocity...LETTUCE ...the heads not the bags!

Tomatoes, splatter and are a little small...

The things that do best seem to have a lot of water or juice...Just like people I guess...thinner skins though :wink: The 45 is difficult 'cause it's so slow...

Anything with bubbles will turn inside out with a 22 and up Ginger ale, 7-up, I guess beer would, you'll have to ask someone else there... :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.