Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just picked up a digital camera and since I've drooled over so many pics here I thought I'd post one of my first and so far favorite 1911.

A friend of mine built this with the help of an AMU gunsmith, then sold it to me. It was my intro to 1911's and it's been the most accurate and reliable one I've owned so far.
It's a Frankenstein gun with the following components.
Essex frame
Drake slide
Brown beavertail
Wilson safety
AMU NM barrel
AMU NM bushing
Front sight is a Novak, rear is a Meprolite.
I have no clue who made the mag release, but I hate it.
It used to have an S&A magwell on it, but I took that off and replaced it with the arched one to see how that fit my hand.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is a great idea. I love to see photos of all the guns people have customized. I think the problem is that we are all spending all of our extra bucks on these guns and have none left over for a digital camera. I'm gonna try to impose a little self discipline and leave the new Brownells #54 catalog on the bookshelf till I save a few bucks for a new camera and learn how to post pics here.

·
Registered
11 Posts

It's my first 1911 and has gone through a few changes through the years. Originally a Mil-Spec Springfield Armory model bought back in 1988. It went to Alex Hamilton to be turned into a competitive DCM legal Ball gun. (Tighten and fit slide/match bushing/adjustable sights/trigger job).

I was trying out for the USAF Pistol Team, and was able to make the "developmental" team with it. Though not the actual traveling team, it still allowed me to partake in the free issue of practice ammo.:smile:

Later on (later part of 93) I had Alex Hamilton do the final touches to it..

It's current configuration:

FEATURES: * Electroless Nickel frame and Gun-Kote slide * Slide tightened and fitted to frame * Ejection port lowered and flaired * Wichita adjustable rear sight melted into slide w/ millet dual-crimp front sight * Match bushing and barrel lugs recut for tight consistant lockup * Barrel throated to feed semi-wadcutters and hollow points * Vedecki adjustable trigger * Brown hammer and beavertail grip safety * Crisp 4# trigger job * Front strap checkered 20 lpi and undercut for higher grip * Checkered 20 lpi (arched) mainspring housing * Extended safety, slide stop and mag release * Rosewood checkered grips w/ stainless hex grip screws * Magwell beveled *

Only changes I'll do to it at a later date is have a slimmer more tactical safety fitted and a standard slide stop replace the humongous one currently on it. Also have a fiber optic front site dovetailed into the slide.

Needing some cash to fund a project I'm having Alex Hamilton perform on a Springfield Champion, I listed it for sale. It was deemed odd pistol out since I was shooting my other 1911's more than this one. I took it to the range for one last session with it before selling and came back and quickly removed it from the for sale list. The range session reminded me why I have held on to this one for so long. One of the other 1911's in my collection took it's place on the chopping block to raise the funds.

Rick

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bandit on 2001-08-03 15:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
14 Posts
So why are people against the wrap around rubber grips on the 1911s? I hear this often so I thought I would ask. I have wrap around on my Kimber Custom but I would never put them on my Baer TRS cuz it would feel wrong and kind of go against the slim line feel that I like about it.

Techo

·
Registered
136 Posts
What's that thing that grew out the front of the stainless colt???

Never knew that was standard equipment.

An extended magna-ported barrel/multiport barrels are like wrap around rubber grips, they should be outlawed on a 1911.

·
Registered
26 Posts
bmwguy

What ever happened to Steve Woods? Is he still around? I was going thru a box of old catalogs the other day & ran into a copy of his. His work was nice.

Is he still building guns?

·
Registered
3 Posts
abnranger-

Its actually not a stainless, this is a full size 70 series blue 1911 that has been chopped and hard chromed. It is setup for IPSC and is compensated. Woods actually cut the frame to fit this(his own?) compensator so the entire pistol isn't that long. The compensator is very effective, and this pistol will group at 100 yards with a compentent shooter(not me!). I don't "think" anyone is doing this type of compensation as I believe it it very labour intensive. I could be wrong. If you ever get to shoot this pistol, you'll be amazed of the quality, accuracy, and the follow-up shot.

As for Steve Woods, last I heard and from searching old archive, he had divorced and had not been building any pistols.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bmwguy on 2001-09-04 11:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Here ya' go Rich...

The details for posting pictures are in the FAQs'...Have a look at this source code and that's all there is to it. :wink: BTW...the pistol turned out really NICE!

...no matter where ya' go

...there ya' are...

...BanZai from the 8th

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-09-06 20:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm never one to miss an opportunity to show off my Colt Delta Elite... :grin:

+ Bar-Sto barrel fitted, cut & crowned
+ Videcki solid trigger @ 4.5lbs
+ Novak 3-dot night sights
+ Wilson Combat extended "tactical" thumb safety
+ Smith & Alexander beavertail grip safety
+ Colt stainless steel serrated mainspring housing
+ Wilson Combat steel guide rod, 24lb Wolff recoil spring & CP shock buffer
+ Coming soon: AFTEC extractor
+ Ebony grips

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.