Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't have a picture, but I have handled a few examples. The Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable), or MEU(SOC) M1911s are very basic, "no frills" guns. Fixed high visibility sights (the last one I saw did not have tritium inserts, but this may have since changed), trigger job, beavertail, match barrel, parkerized finish. No checkering or serrations. Some examples had Pachmayr rubber grips. They are built by Marine match armorers at Quantico. Very crude in appearance, but very functional shooters.
Bill Go
LtCol USMC (Ret)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Probably not going to get tritium sights on the MEU(SOC) 1911's. When the team goes to stack up on the entry(or the last covered point), there is too great a chance of the tritium giving them away to someone with NVD's. If you get a chance, look at a set of tritiums from 50-100m with a AN/PVS-7B or PVS-14, they light up pretty well. I once set up an urban hide and was observing with NVG's when I noticed that every so often the room would light up brightly. Turned out it was the tiny little function light on the motorola handhelds that we were using for intrateam commo. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Just for added info I used the input from a RECON Marine to help spec the FED Kimber guns.

His experience with the MEUSOC guns allowed him to share with me some valuable details that he thought were missing on the issue piece.

Some where on the net is an informative piece written by Pat Rogers on the guns. I laso have a short section on my web site about them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.
Matt, I've been to the Marine Fact File before. Thanks for the link though. I lost that URL a pc rebuild or two ago.
If anyone comes up with detailed information on the piece, part sources etc.. I'd appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.