Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently recieved a rifle from Mike. Long story behind this rifle but I want to give you guys the short version.

The 9.3 is an amazing round for short distances and a medium bore, .366" to be exact. No, not a .40 cal but I can get 6 rounds in most of the '06 actions if I want and have a very small profile rifle. This one was built as 5 round total gun. It makes up a light gun with a lot of punch.

I like rifles built to walk a LOT with and that shoot well. I also like great wood and iron sights. Not real practical in my neck of the woods but that is what I like to shoot and hunt with. The 9.3 matches that and at iron sight range equals a 375 H&H in killing power by all accounts but the 9.3 can be built lighter than a 375.

Mike is one of the few guys born in the USA that can take a block of steel and wood, if given the time, build a best grade double rifle. Guy's amazing.

My gun is a VZ24 in English walnut, ebony tip and cap, beaded cheek piece, wrap around checkering, a 24" barrel, quarter rib one standing 2 folding. Barrel sling swivel, timney trigger and a 4 round mag. It is a using rifle in ther English style. Soooooo sweet :grin:

Mike and I met working on the 505 Burns project and our relation ship goes back a couple of years now. I had him first rebuild my Winchester in 416 that never was quite right.

Several of my dream projects have followed. I have not been dissapointed. So if you overload Mike with work I am not worried my guns are already well into his queue. Finding someone that does this level of work and isn't buried for YEARS is an amazing thing. Pictures are coming when I get a chance.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is another "Kizler" owner on list. His is a 505 that I had a little something to do with :grin: But until he speaks up here are a couple of quick pictures of my 9.3 Mauser. This one would give Selby and Raurk something to ponder on I suspect :wink:

This is just a "regular" hunting rifle from Mike's shop :roll: Wait to you see my other pieces that are still coming!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-10-22 18:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
403 Posts
Very nice Dane. I especially like the how the wood grain flows through the small grip area. I have always been partial to streight grained wood of AAA quality. Maybe not the swirliest or burliest, but very classy looking non the less.

I also like the simple flowing lines of the entire gun. Damn nice riflesmithing there on a bull stout action. Congrats on the fine piece.

P.S. Take a picture of it on a darker background.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-10-22 19:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
260 Posts
So, my idea of an express rifle in .416 Taylor built on a double heat-treat '03 Springfield isn't as crazy as I thought... Very nice work.

Wayne Miller

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very nice, very classic, veddy British in style, with maybe just a little influence from you know who. :smile: I admit to being unfamiliar with Mr. Kizler's work but from what I can see, I'm very impressed. Let's just say I would have had no problem letting it out the door. :grin:

You have much to be proud of...enjoy!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well in a crummy stock and no bedding it shot great :grin: Haven't had the time to regulate it yet with the irons. They are uncut at the moment. After this season I'll send it back and have it reblued and a 3 position model 70 safety added. I love the Mauser flag but it was a really dumb idea as Mike had told me. I have a 1.5 X 5 Leopold VariX II for it. Bolt and flag just barely work as I was warned but that is the way I wanted it. The bases are silver soldered and put on with over size screws. They and the rings are Warne.

416 Taylor? I had a 21" fluted stainless Model 70 in Taylor for several years, broke a number of Leopolds on it @ 7 1/2 #s :grin: Great rifle. An Alaske Dept of Wildlife guy needed it more than I. Finally stopped dicking around and got a 416 Rem, on the Winchester again, so I could sling a 400 @ 2400fps without stress from a 22" barrel.

Even that has a few problems, the 416 Dakota being better but I went to the Rigby next.

The Taylor is by far the best of the bunch if you don't have to push over 2400 or shoot a short barrel. Recoil is less because of the powder burn case per case.

The 375 Scoville is the next one I want in a bolt gun. I have a '95 in 375 Scoville and it is incredible with 300gr Hornadys'. 2300 fps is easy my 24" barrel! Just too many darn guns!!! and no time :grin:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"I wondered why you hadn't specified a M/70 style safety but thought it would be tasteless to ask."

Ya, it was tasteless to rub it in David :lol:

When I first envisioned this rifle 7 or 8 years ago I could still see well enough to shoot irons and would have never drilled that VZ24 let alone put mounts on it. Now, a few short years later and not being able to see a deer at 300 yards I am thinking a scope is a pretty cool thing. I thought I could built a classic and cheat on the flag...you can, but it was REALLY dumb. Not my first rifle design mistake :grin:

The ssame places a scope might just ruin the experience for me. I'd pass on either animal if I couldn't put the bullet exactly where I wanted with irons. Gonna be a bitch shooting at the local elk population with no scope though.

Shooting is easy, the hunt is the experience :grin: I suspect we agree on that.

This rifle from Mike was a just at 9 month wait from beinging to end. I supplied the wood and the action, and did the trigger myself when he was finished. I suspect now that was a mistake too :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-10-22 20:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
"When I first envisioned this rifle 7 or 8 years ago I could still see well enough to shoot irons"

Get used to it pal, it don't get any better. :smile:

Always wanted to do an elephant hunt the right way. Track twenty miles on foot, inspect ivory, sleep on ground. Repeat as necessary until hundred pounder is located. :grin:

Closest I could come today would be walking to the fridge for a cold bottle of Tusker. :lol:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the guys who know, picking up a good rifle is like picking up a Heinie. They can either feel like a box stock Kimber or a Winchester or they can be a "Kizler" or a "Heinie".

No comparison between the two finished pieces...finely done custom or factory, stock, gun.

They aren't just pretty they are tools made to be used. The "feel" tells you so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-10-23 17:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
260 Posts
OK, so where does one procure one of those nifty slings, and what is the tariff?

Wayne

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trader Keiths' 1 800 338 3146 and $45 for the sling.

My gun was build on a pre WWII VZ action originally in 8mm Mauser. I retained the original Mauser bottom metal.

New CZs and the Husavarna rifles are still available from dealers in Gunlist and Shotgun News already barreled in many calibers including 9.3 x 62.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the early stages of a 35 Whelen "pre war" style sporter on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action. Metal work by Ed Lapour in Bremerton. Stock either by him or Dennis Erhardt. The rifle will be sighted with irons, but a lyman 48, rather than an island rear. metal work includes surface grinding action, new bolt handle, 3 position safety, barrel band front sight, barrel band sling swivel stud, drop box magazine, rear square bridging and a few other essentials. 9.3mm and 35 cal are interesting and are outstanding for Alaska brown bear and moose. I have seen some good kills on brown bear with the 9.3x74mm in an over/under winchester double rifle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.