Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Mil-Spec operator today from a buddy with a ffl (read that as: I got a killer deal). I was contemplating buying one but was waiting to hear what others thought of them and then I read Richard Heinie's statement that he thought they were good base guns so I had to have one :grin: .

Overall fit and finish is very good, some machine marks, rear of slide and frame are not quite flush on one side but not by much, tiny bit of bbl play upward. Slide seems to hang a little as it goes across the disconnector(same as my loaded 9mm does), mainspring housing is fit better than my loaded 9mm. none of that really bothers me.

Can't get the bbl out past the area of the slide where the recoil plug goes(not sure whats up here)bbl lugs seem a tiny bit too wide or there was a little too much metal on the slide and the bbl was jammed in through there. Anyone else ever have this problem? got one pic of it uploaded so far more tomorrow.

rest of pics HERE

more to follow.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice pix and gun! Nice slide / frame fit too! :smile:

How does it shoot and feel with the light attached? Reliability with light mounted okay? How about some pix with the light mounted?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2001-08-16 23:56, Hoser wrote:
Nice pix and gun! Nice slide / frame fit too! :smile:

How does it shoot and feel with the light attached? Reliability with light mounted okay? How about some pix with the light mounted?
Thanks Hoser.
I haven't even shot it yet. Also haven't got a light yet. Feels real good in the hand though. More info after I shoot it this weekend.

Eugene

·
Registered
239 Posts
My TRP Operator works fine with the light mounted. See my thread re: the testing.

How is the balance of this gun compared to a standard 5"? I found the TRP Operator a little too nose heavy, and am hoping that the Mil Spec is lighter up front.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2001-08-17 19:31, Hilton Yam wrote:
My TRP Operator works fine with the light mounted. See my thread re: the testing.

How is the balance of this gun compared to a standard 5"? I found the TRP Operator a little too nose heavy, and am hoping that the Mil Spec is lighter up front.
It's all your fault Hilton! :grin: :grin:
I read the thread...it's where I saw Heinie's reccomendation and your review of the TRP version and decided I had to have one of these :wink: .

It is quite front heavy but I think it'll be allright for me as I'm not too stuck on exact 1911 ergonomics...yet. If someone could make one in an alloy frame it would most likely be perfect...but I'm not sure if thats feasible.

I just got through uploading some more pics HERE

I do take requests if anyone wants to see something in particular. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-08-17 20:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-08-17 20:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up a mil-spec operator some time back. Don't worry about the balance; you really won't notice the weight when shooting. At least I didn't. Just wait until you shoot some controlled pairs and hammers. Shot to shot recovery is excellent. The fit on mine was also tight, but I didn't have any problems with normal field stripping. I don't have a light yet either. It's a very accurate gun. I'm quite pleased with mine. Congratulations!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2001-08-19 11:28, Jagman wrote:

[snip]

It's a very accurate gun. I'm quite pleased with mine. Congratulations!
Thanks Jagman. I shot about 50rds through it yesterday and it grouped tight but about three inches left. Gonna do some real range time with it soon and really see what it'll do. The weight didn't seem to bother me as far as hold etc. but it actually helped for follow up shots.

Eugene

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eugene, I had a Bullseye 1911 W/Rem.Rand slide and Stock Series 70 Fitted Barrel. It would 'stick' the same way yours does. I used a brass Drift and a Rubber hammer. Held Drift at the base of Link Housing and tapped it most of the way out, then grabbed the Muzzle in one hand and the slide in the other and pulled like hell. "Pop" it came out. It was a little tight going back together but not near as bad taking it out the second time..............

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ironside.

I'll give that a try and if it doesn't work I'll give SA an email and see what they say then.

*update: just gave it a try and it worked. Just a couple small taps with the brass drift and hammer and out it popped. A few swipes with swiss file #2 and it now slides in and out no problemo. :grin: :grin:
Now I can give it a good cleaning.

Eugene

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-08-20 20:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
79 Posts
Eugene,
Take a look at the inside of the slide and see if the Staked Front Sight Tang is not quite flush with the inside of the slide. This will cause the barrel to bind. I have seen it quite a bit on some Mil-Spec Pistols.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2001-08-21 09:12, Richard Heinie wrote:
Eugene,
Take a look at the inside of the slide and see if the Staked Front Sight Tang is not quite flush with the inside of the slide. This will cause the barrel to bind. I have seen it quite a bit on some Mil-Spec Pistols.
Thanks Richard, I checked and the stake is nice and flush. In the following pic you can see it in the bottom right. The other pics (top)are where I filed to get the bbl to fit through without being forced and a shot of how it fits through now.

Those Brownells swiss files take quite a bit of metal per stroke, I only hit each side five or six times and now the bbl actually has a few thousanths to play with when going through there. Either that or the metal is soft? :rolleyes: :grin:

Eugene

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-08-21 18:34 ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.