Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the AH article on Larry Vickers, he talked about the Miller hard-fit way of fitting barrels. What is it and how does it differ from others like Heinie, Garthwaite, ect, way of fitting barrels or do they do it the same way? Better or just different?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do all the top smiths use this method? The Vicker's article seemed to imply that it's the best way and that not many know how to do this.

Also, do any of the top smiths squeeze the slides to fit to frame or do they all peen?

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-08 22:31, Hoser wrote:
Do all the top smiths use this method? The Vicker's article seemed to imply that it's the best way and that not many know how to do this.

Also, do any of the top smiths squeeze the slides to fit to frame or do they all peen?
Good question... I'd guess if they have knowledge of the technique, they use it, or a modified version of it, or whatever the have found to work best for them, and provide the desired results.

I would also imagine that most of the Top Smith's have their own way of doing certain things, and that most of them are pretty proficient at fitting barrels, but that's just a guess :wink:

As for squeezing, who knows, although I have heard some talk about peening, inserts and even welding, most I have talked with avoid sqeezing.

I'd imagine that anyone who I trusted to do any work for me is competent, and would do things correctly, but then, I guess, correctly is losely defined by how thick my wallet is... If I don't pay to play, I get what I pay for :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.