Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of us know about MIM parts and Kimber. Even to the point of how many and what parts are MIM. Also that the Customs has a Plastic Main spring housing. Now what about the Springfield’s Custom Loaded. It sells for about $80 less then the Kimber Custom (at least the gun store I go to).
I know the Kimber vs Springfield debate is beaten to death here, but I am concerned about the internals more. This is going to be a project gun for me and will be worked on very slowly, because of money. I have researched the archives and really is none thing about S/A and MIN parts. Now after months of preparing to get a Kimber now I’m leaning to S/A. As far as I know they both good base guns.
I am so confused!! :???::

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HET on 2001-06-26 14:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does Springfield have any MIM parts on their guns? And if so what are they?
See I told you I was Confused :smile:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Uh-huh...I can't help you. Mine's all steel...I've heard others say they found them on the new models...Good Luck...

G

·
On 2001-06-26 15:12, HET wrote:
Does Springfield have any MIM parts on their guns? And if so what are they?
See I told you I was Confused :smile:
Hammer
sear
disconector
beavertail
etc......
ti firing pin
main spring housing lock
heavy heavy mail spring.

geo ><>

·
Registered
407 Posts
Colt uses MIM in the new 1991A1 also. I bought one about a month ago and the sear was cracked. I changed all the internals to Nowlin tool steel.
Seems like all the company's are using some MIM parts these days to stay competative in their price range.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Has anybody compared Colt, Kimber, and SA MIM parts to see if they are maybe all from the same source? The parts are cheap, once you are set up, but the molds are very expensive, per a friend who works in a shop making injection molds for all materials.

G

·
Colt has used mim sear disconector and mag catch since the early 80's (sears as hard
as 52 rc)

para's new sear is mim and the LDA cocking piece.

Springfield hammer sear disconector....

start up cost on min is half of what it was 5 years ago. you can buy bulk hammer sear disconectors from isreal for under 5.00 each
some way under. (kimber / bull ? )

Kimber bought a mim co. out that was in fl.
moved them to Ny.

geo ><>

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
George,
You sure get around. You also answered on the 1911 forum too. Thanks for all great info and to all the other peolple also. :smile:

HET

·
Registered
60 Posts
HET: Looks like I followed you and George over here from 1911Forum tonight. So... same question here.

Does anyone (George?) have any idea when Springfield started using MIM parts? I have a Loaded model from Dec of '99 and would not want to throw out any parts I don't need to.

Or, I suppose I could send the pistol to one of the 'smiths on this board and have them toss out all the usual suspects. :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.