Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The survival mindset?
How many of us take unecessary risks?
Do you go where you do not belong?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-26 21:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
579 Posts
What kind of "bite vest" is that cat wearing? :roll: That's a good example, must be a graduation day test!

If I do something stupid, dangerous, against common sense, which is explained in HIS Word I'm on my own! Not a pleasant thought without HIM. Mike

Formating Edit/bold didn't work!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall_1611 on 2001-07-26 21:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for posting that David...I was just telling my wife about that picture the other day....because of an incedent in our town with one of the K9s.

Seems the K9 was on the trail of a suspect...The dog went into an apartment building....Grabbed a cat(and killed it)and bit the owner of the cat(who was probably trying to rescue cat)...this was an old retired guy that lived alone(not the suspect)...The police said that the dog was just hyped because of the chase....

I am sorry...I have raised dogs for a long time...I even had a well trained Rottie at one time...This K9 does not have the stuff to be a police dog...They need to get rid of it...Or...they need a much better handler of this animal.

The reason they run the cat through that course...in the picture above...is that the dog needs to follow commands without getting distracted...BY ANYTHING....Our local K9 (and handler) flunked this test.

Sorry for the rant
Greg

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2001-07-26 21:03, David DiFabio wrote:
The survival mindset?
How many of us take unecessary risks?
Do you go where you do not belong?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-26 21:04 ]</font>
I agree David...I large part of my self defense lies in staying out of areas that I don't belong in...or walking on the other side of the street...if that makes sense.

Greg

·
Registered
46 Posts
On 2001-07-27 13:40, Bronco wrote:
The reason they run the cat through that course...in the picture above...is that the dog needs to follow commands without getting distracted...BY ANYTHING....Our local K9 (and handler) flunked this test.

Greg
It seems to me if some private firm that trained dogs had a test like this one, where a live cat is used to see if the dogs would obey commands or attack the cat, would gender a great deal of public outcry.
Perhaps even face charges for cruelty from the ASPCA. Dragging a stuffed cat via a monofiliment line would accomplish the same thing. No need to endanger a helpless cat just because it makes a good photo-op.

·
Registered
934 Posts
On 2001-07-27 15:35, Soujurn wrote:
It seems to me if some private firm that trained dogs had a test like this one, where a live cat is used to see if the dogs would obey commands or attack the cat, would gender a great deal of public outcry.
Perhaps even face charges for cruelty from the ASPCA. Dragging a stuffed cat via a monofiliment line would accomplish the same thing. No need to endanger a helpless cat just because it makes a good photo-op.
Actually, I think a dog can tell the difference between a live cat and a stuffed one. Not suggesting that endagering a cat is a good thing. I just shoot them with my airsoft to get them to stop crapping all over my backyard lawn.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One of the keys to staying alive is to be smart. Only dummies and trollers, go to and take a gun where danger is likely.

In 1981, after a dinner with one of my store managers in a respectable part of Gary, Indiana, I started home. I live about 75 miles southeast of Gary. Somehow I got turned around in the dark and ended up in the burned and boarded part of downtown Gary.
As I was finding my way out of the area, and while stopped at a traffic light, my car was hit in the rear. Car would still move. Nothing but black faces around. Other driver did not leave his vehicle. I had a .45 Commander. I stayed in my vehicle.

Next day I called my company leasing dept and reported the accident. After my explanation, the only comment was "smart move". GLV

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is a good part in Gary?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi David. You don´t need going to the problems. They come to you without invitation.
I think the survival mind set is a very important element in your survival choices if the lethal fight erupts. Obviously it is a greater concern for those who are wearing an uniform (or not)to protect and serve, but even as a particular many times the people find dangerous criminals inside their homes and no one has call them. It´s an example where the survival mind set can mark the difference between die or live.

Finally, if you get a survival mind set don´t commit foolishness either.

German

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have one comment on this. Two actually, the first being that I like the picture. But the second is one that troubles me, but I don't have a good answer for. I, too, totally agree that one should avoid potential confrontation and dangerous spots. You have to do that and concurrently be ready to fight and take life if that is your only option. I understand this part of it. Here is what bothers me. You live in a town and you have access to the whole town. Okay, fine. Then a few years go by and the "bad part/s of town" have expanded; so now you don't go there either. Sooner or later you are going to be holed up in your house, afraid to walk to the corner store to buy milk or to take your kids for a walk. I hear of and read all the time about how we need to only be ready to intervene for our direct family members and we need to avoid areas of potential trouble. I do this myself, but what bothers me is this: Criminals used to be afraid of what we (society) would do to them if we caught them. It seems that now the situation has mainly reversed itself and we (society) are mainly afraid of what the criminals will do to us. This feels like surrender to me. It feels like the whole country is just limiting their radius of travel to just work-home-grocery store. That is pretty sad I think. It bothers me when they try to ban guns, even if I don't care for that type of gun myself (say a 50 BMG), and likewise it bothers me when a part of my town becomes a dangerous hotbed of criminal activity - even if I don't live in that part. I view our society as a living, breathing body. If I am a kidney and the body gets cancer, but it is only lung cancer I don't think I should feel too good about just writing off the lungs. The lungs are part of the body I live in and sooner or later this cancer will work its way to me and destroy my place also. Anyway, this is a serious reply to a nice, light-hearted posting. But, if someone has a comment on this I would like to hear it.
-Jake

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jake...that was a well said post...I agree...somewhere over the years we(as a society) have thrown the keys to the inmates...I hope that someday....we will take them back.

Greg Hanson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.