Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to participate in the world of competative shooting and as I was looking over the various rules and regulations I kept coming across the term "modified for carry" in the IDPA descriptions of of the 4 gun classes. What if anything would need to be done to make my base OTB Kimber Custom .45 qualify as "modified for carry"?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Generally, IDPA allows other than stock triggers, sights, finishes, and grips.
A more complete list can be found at the IDPA web site.

In my experience, Kimbers don't NEED any modifications out of the box. Mine ran 100% straight out of the box. They have good sights, triggers, and are reliable.

Many people recommend using Wilson magazines. I have had no problem with the stock mags, but I carry Wilson's.

Any changes to Kimbers are done mostly for personal tastes not function.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, the terms they used in the descriptions were a little misleading. The Custom Auto class kept refering to 1911 .45s that have been modified for carry, not competition. Nowhere do they mention unmodified 1911 .45s so I wasn't sure where my Kimber would fall. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
All .45 acp 1911s are considered to be in the custom class whether or not the pistol is a bone stock Norinco or a $4,000 Heinie gun.

Here is the link to the IDPA rule book.

http://www.idpa.com/rulebook5-2-01/rulebook_new.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JM on 2001-08-08 02:21 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.