Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with Montana Gold 200gr. swc bullets.

After loading a few of these, I noticed I could push them back in the case with my fingers.

I am using once fired Winchester brass, sizing with a Lee carbide die, and crimping with a Lee FCD to a diameter of .468in.

Any ideas?

Also anyone have a load for this bullet using TiteGroup powder?

Thanks

lesthemess

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lesthemess on 2001-06-01 01:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
JM10MM may be correct that the bullet is not of the correct diameter .452 for lead swc. It may also be not all bullets are within specs. I would stay within the specifications for a taper crimp on the .45 and not drift from .469 to .471. I believe in the seat and crimp stations should be a seperate step but others feel they have no problem doing it with the same die. My press is a dillon 550B.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Agree with FortyFive's comments. I also keep the crimp in the same range, and separate the seating and crimping process. I do believe it's better to use the two separate steps. Use the Lee FC die as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fred on 2001-05-30 16:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't think you can correct a loose bullet seat by crimp.
The bullet needs to be tight in the brass, taper crimp in a .45ACP is mostly for feeding. Your sizing die may not be sizing the brass enough, your expander plug may be expanding it back too much. Those bullets may be undersize. The brass may be too thin. I have had all the above to happen one time or another. Do you have a mike or good caliper? A jacketed or plated bullet should not measure much under .451", certainly not as small as .450". Your expander should be smaller than that by maybe .003 or .004", measured below the flare. Try some different brass, Federal is thickest. Talk to Lee. A bullet pushed back into the case during feeding is usually a severe jam. If it happened to make it into the chamber, pressure could get excessive real quick. You cannot depend on a taper crimp to hold it against impact into the ramp. It will affect powder burning too, so velocity and accuracy will be hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.