Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of getting a scattergun for a while and have (sort of) settled on a Mossberg. This will be for HD. I've got trigger time with a 590 but find it a bit unwieldy. The 500 is a bit shorter and seems to balance better.

Any thoughts on one versus another? Also, does Mossberg make a 590 in a 6 shot capacity?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would stay away from the 500. It's OK for those that don't put in any training time behind their shotgun, but I don't feel that they are rugged enough to take the pounding. The 590 series shotguns are more suited to taking a beating. My preference is for Remington 870 and 11-87 shotguns.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have owned a mossberg 500 and I currently own an 870. For what it is worth I strongly recommend the 870. If price is a concern go to http://www.subguns.com and check the boards there, they frequently have police trade ins at very reasonable prices. Now, with that said - I would also highly recommend the 590 over the 500 if you are going to do any real shooting with it.

Also, just for fun you may want to go to http://www.wilsoncombat.com and click on the scattergun technologies link there to see some very, very cool shotguns.

Whatever you get I hope it serves you well. I am nobody but I recommend #4 buck in the chamber or first up, followed by 2 rounds of 00 buckshot, followed up by slugs. Good luck.

Jake

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only problem I've ever had with the 870 is the safety. The tang safety seems easier to operate than the other. But, I suppose that if I need to use it, I'd have the safety off to begin with. Maybe keep it cruiser ready.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a Winchester Defender, a friend had a model 500. I liked the Defender. I found it to be of higher quality. My friend experienced an accidental discharge with the Mossberg while manipulating the safety. I was standing next to him at the time and I know he didn't have his finger on the trigger. He had his hand around the stock and his thumb on the safety when it went boom. That didn't raise my opinion of Mossberg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.