Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just purchased my first commander (1991a1 .45cal)
I was wondering what would be the most effective round this gun could be chambered in?
I am sure there are a million variables as relating to (accuracy, reliability, intended purpose for firearm, blah blah) Just would like to see what you guys have to say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mike: The answer to your question is "what are you going to do with the ammo"? Up front I exempt my self from any direct knowledge of the .45 commander//exept of a brief stint with a Seacamp in the early 1970's//. Most people I know carry some form of 230gr. round whether ball or JHP. With 230gr. you will have increaced recoil and lower muzzel velocity than in a longer barrel. A good grip and trigger control seems to be the answer to accuracy. Others insist on 165gr.,185gr. and 200gr. JHP with their higher velocities helping insure expansion. A good grip and trigger control//read; practice,practice,practice//are needed for those all important follow-up shots and a swift return to sight alignment and sight picture. The gun is designed to shoot 230gr. Having said that get as many different kinds of ammo you can and give 'em a whirl. Calthrop.

·
Registered
503 Posts
On 2001-05-23 01:54, mike_p wrote:
Having just purchased my first commander (1991a1 .45cal)
I was wondering what would be the most effective round this gun could be chambered in?
I am sure there are a million variables as relating to (accuracy, reliability, intended purpose for firearm, blah blah) Just would like to see what you guys have to say.
I am not quite sure what you mean here Mike. Are you asking what cartridges (in addition to the .45 ACP) might be the most effective? There are indeed a number of rounds for which you can modify this pistol; The .45 Super, the .460 Rowland, the .451 Detonics (which is about like the Rowland) the .40 Super, the .400 Cor-Bon, the .38/45 and so on.

The problem is what one considers "effective". Most of those rounds (except the .38/45) are more "powerful" (comparing power in a pistol is sort of like comparing rank among Privates :smile:)but then the effectivness of the pistol also has to do with how well you shoot it. Recoil can have a detrimental effect on it unless you are just planning on shooting once (not a good idea even with a .454 Casul).

I suppose that is a long winded way of saying you will have to go a long way to beat a .45 ACP. You could try some of the +P loads in it to see if they are manageable.

Good luck,
Cordially,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all that have written. My idea of "effective" in the question stated was, on a human target center mass shot and most bang (logical not like .50 AE) for the barrel length.

Im glad Jim brought up the .40 super and 400 corbon, I am very interested in these two chamberings in this specific firearm. I am also interested in bottleneck reliability in the 1911 series platform.

Once again thanks for the current info.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Based on your criterion, I would say whichever round is the one you can shoot most accurately and quickly without sacrificing reliability. Remember, reliability first and foremost.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Try the Remington 185 +p Golden Saber, it doesn't lose much
velocity with the shorter tube, and I get great accuracy out
of mine!

G

·
I would look for a 200gr JHP +P loading preferrably the GDBHP, Hornandy XTP, or possibly the Federal EFMJ.

Select the loading based on accuracy and reliability.

I would not select a loading known to fragment in gelatin or underpenetrate, look for gelatin number above 12".

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I carried and shot 230 gr for everything 'til a couple months ago. I tried some 200gr and suddenly the 4" Champion 45acp
reverted to its' true self. Accurate, reliable and very easily controlled. After trying several to many types of 200s I opted for the 200gr Hornady XTP and/or the Speer 200gr plated(jacketed) SWC. Both are deadly accurate and reliable loaded to 1.250 OAL over either 10gr of AA#5 or 10gr of Blue Dot. I'll continue trying powders but this combination is very potent and smooth shooting. Either bullet can be loaded down a grain less for practice without disrupting the cycling or losing the accuracy.
I also found the 230 gr Gold Dots from Speer to be VERY good. Either loaded at home or over the counter.
Good luck with your quest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.