Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new to the forum, and wanted to ask you guys a huge favor.
I am building my first custom 1911, and wanted to make sure I have all the parts I need. It is going to be a government model, more of a classic look. Will you guys help me out and look at my list of parts and tell me if I am missing anything or have any excess material. Thanks in advance.:)

Here is the link to my website which will lead you to the document with the list. https://sites.google.com/site/1911build/home

To get to the document just click 1911 Build, then 1911 parts.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Here's an exploded view that shows all standard (Non series 80) Government parts:

http://stevespages.com/ipb-colt-commander.html

If you want some real help on your build, I strongly advise buying a copy of the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual.
This was written as a training aid for new gunsmiths and is THE best source of info on gunsmithing the 1911.
Unlike old reprints of GI manuals and other old info, this goes into great depth on the 1911 and how to gunsmith it the Colt factory way.
Included is how to fit all parts, and trouble shoot things that's don't work correctly.
This is the best money you can spend if you want to own a 1911:

JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE COLT .45 AUTOMATIC - Brownells

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. I just ordered the shop manual. Also thank you for showing me the parts. You were a great help!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Here's some more advice:

If this is your first build, I strongly recommend buying only name brand top quality parts from Brownell's.
The gun show or Shotgun News parts and the cheap parts from companies like Swenson and Masen are poor quality castings and are ALWAYS out of spec in at least some areas.

Name brand parts may still be cast, but they're made to higher specs.
Trying to install parts that are out of spec makes it far more difficult to diagnose why something isn't fitting or working correctly when you don't know where the part is out of spec.
Also, when you're using cheap parts the mis-fit tends to "stack" with each out of spec part and that makes problem solving really tough when it's a number of parts that are bad.

Next, I recommend building a standard Government Model with no custom parts.
Trying to figure out how things go together is made much more difficult when you're also having to modify things to install custom, non-standard parts at the same time.
Once you have a properly working standard gun, then you can modify it or build a second gun with all the custom features.
The key is to get a working gun FIRST.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here's some more advice:

If this is your first build, I strongly recommend buying only name brand top quality parts from Brownell's.
The gun show or Shotgun News parts and the cheap parts from companies like Swenson and Masen are poor quality castings and are ALWAYS out of spec in at least some areas.

Name brand parts may still be cast, but they're made to higher specs.
Trying to install parts that are out of spec makes it far more difficult to diagnose why something isn't fitting or working correctly when you don't know where the part is out of spec.
Also, when you're using cheap parts the mis-fit tends to "stack" with each out of spec part and that makes problem solving really tough when it's a number of parts that are bad.

Next, I recommend building a standard Government Model with no custom parts.
Trying to figure out how things go together is made much more difficult when you're also having to modify things to install custom, non-standard parts at the same time.
Once you have a properly working standard gun, then you can modify it or build a second gun with all the custom features.
The key is to get a working gun FIRST.
Excellent advice as usual. It helps to have a friend who has fit some parts or a gunsmith who can kick you in the butt and point you in the right direction. My own expereince building 1911s is long but thin. My last build, that is the last one that I am intend to do, took a year and cost enough to buy a used Les Baer.

If I depended upon making a living building 1911, I would be 98 pounds from starvation and bankrupt.

My intent is not to discourage you from building a 1911, or getting interested in custom 1911s, but just to point out that it was a long twisting road for me. Good luck on your build. The search button this site can provide you with a lot of 'gold' from those who know what they are doing.

Good luck and keep us updated with pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys really. I am ordering the standard parts tomorrow, and picking up the receiver on Thursday. Hope this build goes well, many thanks to everyone who helped me. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts