Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the forum and special thanks to Dane and Hilton that had the patience to guide a beginner.
This started out as a SS 1991 A1 with the following added on:
Brown B/T
Brown Tac ambi safety
Brown MSH 30lpi
Brown Tac mag release
Solid videcki
Nowlin trigger group
BCP African Blackwood grips
I also beveled the mag well and dehorned the entire frame.
The complete slide with Heinie sights I bought as you see it with Wilson Bullet proof internals.
The barrel and bushing are match grade fitted and do not budge. I will shoot it for a while before I bead blast the frame for that gray color because I might find more stuff to file yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-07-12 09:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2002-01-15 14:12 ]</font>

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
I took it out to the range with 3 different types of ammo and I must say I am very pleased.
First 25 rounds I had some stovepipes but after that it was smooth. The trigger is a little heavy and I will adjust the sear spring to take out some tension.
I shot the following
50 Winchester 230 gr white box
100 rounds S&B 230 FMJ
150 rounds CCI Lawman.
For some reason the gun was shooting about 4 inches high?
I changed the grips to African Black wood DD and the gun feels and looks much better. I'll post a new picture today.
I am very pleased with the Ed Brown Grip safety and thumb safety combo because they allow a much higher grip on the gun and it is far more controllable in rapid fire then my Wilson CQB.
My next project on this gun is the front strap; I want to recut the grip under the trigger guard and maybe do some stippling. I hope I don’t screw it all up.
Shay
“Shays Custom Pistols” :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-06-22 13:05 ]</font>

· Registered
552 Posts
Nice cleanly executed Pistol! Curious about the Heinie rear sight? Do you perfer his "older" style over the SlantPro? TIA

· Registered
1,355 Posts
I'd shoot it for a while...Let myself get a good feel for it, and, what it needs or doesn't...just enjoy it for a bit while it and you, settle in...:wink:

· Registered
186 Posts
Nice lookin' pistol, Shay.

One small nit-pick...I would've used a blued ejector to match the slide. But it sounds like you started with a stainless frame that already had an ejector installed, so you did the right thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

But I do think that it cosmetically looks better when the ejector and the slide are the same color. (not like the bad guy will ever notice though!! :grin:)

Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing! And, I love the "retro" look of the original Heinies too.

Best regards

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys, I did a little more polishing on the Beavertail. it had some filing marks that the pictures didn't show.
I will be changing the ejector to an extended blue one and the grip screws to ss hex head.

as far as the trigger goes, i havent found the sweet spot between the positive return/trigger pull with the tweaking of the sear spring. every time i play with it its either too much or too little :smile:

Shay

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got the trigger the way I want it. there was a little spot in the frame that was rubbing on the trigger bow.

i took it out last night and shot 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 230 gr FMJ. the gun shoots pretty good groups but is shooting 4 inches high at 25 yards. see pic of 18 rounds: I was aiming at the bottom edge of the paper.

I know this aint no tight group like in the gun magazines but at this distance it is good enough for me :smile: I'm sure the gun shoots better then this in better hands.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-07-12 09:25 ]</font>

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I changed the Barrel link to a #3 from wilson (it had a #2 installed) and i put a Heinie front .200 with trit ( a .185 was installed before).
that should bring the P.O.A to P.O.I.
I'll take it to the range tonight and check.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Do you have the info on what the distance is on each pin...#1, #2, #3,etc...Are there 5 pins? Thanks...would the #3 be like "back to factory spec"?

Thanks for the info...:wink:

· Registered
548 Posts
Unless you are well versed with barrel fitting, don’t go playing with links Gyp_c. Bad things can happen in a hurry. Been there, wrecked that. Cost me a slide and a Kart barrel.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just came back from the range and the gun is still shooting high. about 2.5 inches.
looks like I'm going to have to try the #4 link or learn to aim low :smile:

at least the gun runs smooth with no jams.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
That is EXACTLY why I asked...I'm not sure what he's trying to achieve with this other than what you mentioned...It either fits or it doesn't...Longer, shorter, correct?
..Thanks T

No offense...just seems like a "different" way to approach the problem I hadn't heard of. I'm anxious to see the results!

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-06-28 13:13 ]</font>

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Unless you are well versed with barrel fitting, don’t go playing with links
My friend the aspiring pistolsmith is attempting to make a drop in barrel shoot like a match barrel.

Correct way: buy match barrel and hand fit correctly to frame and slide. Usually a #3 link is perfect. Add Heinie sights cut correctly, usually a .190" front is perfect.

"Interesting" way to build gun. Take Colt, replace slide with one already carrying Heinie's of unknown origin, add barrel fitted to another gun of similar date and manufacturing. Wonders why it doesn't shoot perfect POA FROM HUMAN hands :roll:

Looks like HOG II is born :grin:
You might have picked a better gun to copy Shay!

While changing the link will indeed change POA it also changes a bunch of other things. Longer link will at least keep the gun in lockup so no worries about a blow back gun. Well, not many anyway :grin:

All said with the utmost respect for my friend here since I am shooting HOG I .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-28 15:07 ]</font>

· Registered
325 Posts
This is an admittedly bone-head suggestion, but I am a very simple solution type of guy. How about removing some material from the rear sight notch. That will lower it, so you have to lower the front sight to line it up and then you would be shooting lower. A little at a time and test it. I know this is not the rocket scientist answer, but if I had a gun that was shooting the way I like it to I would be very reticent about messing with the internals. I think learning to "just aim low" is a bad idea. I think maybe you were joking but am not sure. I have enough trouble hitting what I want to with the gun shooting the bullets right exactly where the sights are pointing, I don't anymore complications in the mix. Really nice piece by the way. I think you should be very, very proud of your first effort. You are doing something we have all thought of doing but we just don't have the balls to try. Good for you! Jake

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.