Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks ago I found this in a shop in Kansas.MkIII made in'89.It cost me $400,I think I came out alright.What do you HP experts think?

The trigger was awful.It felt like a two stage trigger at 8lbs.I trued up polished the sear nose and hammer hooks.Now it is a very crisp 4.5lbs.

The parkerized finish was worn around the edges.Some touchup with Oxpho Blue covered that up nicely.

It shoots pretty decent really,though the sights are'nt regulated too well(hits high).
I may change the sights later??

I need some nice grips so if anyone has some for sale,let me know.

I swear,this is the last time I'll edit this post.:smile:
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodeen on 2001-07-16 10:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodeen on 2001-07-16 10:27 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodeen on 2001-07-17 00:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodeen on 2001-07-17 00:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodeen on 2001-07-19 07:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
580 Posts
Would pay 4 for your HP, easily! Looks nice, too. Craig Spegel's grips are arguably the best/most popular for BHP's. Often Novak's & C&S has them in stock, Craig does them to order only.
See: http://www.novaksights.com
May be able to find some on http://www.fnhipower.com also.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello, GLV. I'll do my best:

I've owned one MkII in my life, but seen and shot several others. They were quite popular in the PD where I worked as they were not expensive compared to other guns as they had a military finish. Mine was "worse" than others in that it looked like it'd been finished with a wood rasp; stroked one direction on the slide flats and ninety degrees different on the lightning cuts at the front of the slide!!!!

The gun is the direct predecessor to today's MkIII, Practical, Standard HPs.

The MkII has the same ejection port design as on the older "classic" HPs. It has fixed sights. The rear sight is not really much bigger if any than the old classic HP fixed sight, but is shaped differently and has a relatively wide notch. The front sight is integral to the slide, i.e., it's NOT dovetailed in or staked. It is part of the integral rib that runs the length of the slide. Guns came in matte black and some in parkerized green. They come with the nylon, black thumbrest stocks seen on today's HPs.
On the front of the slide, about where the center of the recoil spring would be, there is a small hole, presumably to let water drain from the gun if used in military type situations.

Early MkII pistols had no internal firing pin safety. Late ones did and I've seen and shot both.

MkII pistols were the first HPs to use the FN/Browning extended ambi thumb safety seen today on their MkIIIs.

To my knowledge, all MkII HPs had spur hammers.

These were also the first HPs I encountered that had the non-humped feed ramp and would feed about anything. All of the MkII HPs I shot were uniformly accurate little shooters.

For more information, see the below-listed link. While at that site, plug in your serial number for year of manufacture.

Best.

http://www.fnhipower.com/MKII.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the intel Stephan.I checked my serial number on the HiPower sight.The info stated it was manufactured in '89.So I assumed it was a MKIII...just different.:smile:
You are correct on the front sight also.There is a rib running down the center top of slide.Thanks again.

Pistolero,thanks for the link to some nice grips.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello, sir. You are most welcomed. I foolishly sold my MkII to a very, very good friend who still has it. It was a peach of a shooter. It actually served with me in more than one extremely "tight" situation. More than one person's looked into the bbl of the little thingy. As memory serves, I recall utterly no malfunctions with this piece.

Best.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stephen, Now I remember. I had one good customer that loved the MkII. Bought about 10 of them, had them stashed about his rather large house in designed compartments. I spent a good bit of time with his wife, teaching her to shoot and lethal threat management. Thanks for the info, GLV

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a slightly damaged set of rosewood Spegels. They are the standard grade. They can be repaired/dressed so that you'll never see the damage (I chipped a little corner off trying to force one onto my MKIII). A little super glue and a little magic marker and voila - no problem.

If you're interested I'll make you a good deal. Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you some pics. I paid $55 for them - will ship to you for $35.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.