Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that 1911's that function correctly and shoot accurately (esp. non-5-inch barrels firing JHP's) for long are not very common. I've read so many stories about people having trouble with very expensive and highly customized 1911's. Is this mainly because of tightened tolerances in the accuracy quest? Or is this because people with reliable stock 5-inch 1911's firing FMJ just don't talk much? I have fewer than 2000rnds of FMJ through mine (Time to change the recoil spring?) and have had no malfunctions. It also ate 20rnds of 185 Gold Dot and 20rnds of 165gr Hydra-shok without a problem. It had different types of failures with 230gr Gold Dot, Hydra-shok, Starfire, and 185 Silvertip. It doesn't shoot anything very accurately. My Llama's official status is "plinker" but the very few times it's been "in service" I carried ball. My point is, why don't more people just buy less expensive 1911's and do some reliability/accuracy work as required? Are there certain parts of the Llama's, Charles Daly's, or others that are so bad or prone to breakage? Are there certain parts I should keep an eye on in my Llama? It just seems like 1911's in every price range from $250 to $2500 are a gamble, so why not get a less expensive one and if you love 1911's and know how to make it better do so. Just wonderin'....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.