Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a NIB BHP that I acquired a while back. BHPs have always been a sentimental favorite of mine as my deceased brother carried one for many years and his BHP was the first auto pistol I ever fired. In addition, with my small hands the BHP feels incredibly comfortable.
I want to send the BHP in for the "full treatment"...customizing into an accurate, totally reliable nine that can digest hot loads regularly and that will withstand the humid, oceanside environment I live in. Combat reliability is priority number one but I want the gun to be good looking as well.
My first choice in a 'smith was Bill Laughridge at C&S but it seems there are many other good ones out there: Novak, Garthwaite, Action Works, etc. I'd like to hear from others what their top 3-5 picks would be. Mind you, I'm looking for BHP "maestros".
As for the finish, I like black guns but I've heard that any of the polymer finishes (including Birdsong's) simply won't wear as long as chrome or nickel. I tempted to go with electroless nickel/NP3 (for their greater saltwater resistance) or perhaps brushed chrome.
Finally, the Friar watches his pennies but knows the value of good craftsmanship and is willing to pay good wages for the work of a genuine master craftsman.
I would appreciate the suggestions and 'smith recommendations of others that frequent this board.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. I've no examples of work from any of the top 'smiths, but will soon (hopefully) have a CZ75 slide back that has been fitted with Novaks by Kurt Wickmann. During the 10 years or so that he worked for Wayne Novak, I'm told that Wickmann did the HP work. Either he or Wayne Novak's shop could likely do what you wish. I think I read where Dane Burns has worked on HPs. Garthwaite is a HP wizard as well from what I read. Any of these should be able to do anything you want in terms of custom features and/or finishes.

Best.

G

·
After seeing the work Alex Hamilton has done on my FN High-Power frame I say he takes second to none. He took a truly screwed up pistol and made it work again. I have to buy a digital camera to post his work.

Stephen A. Camp, this isn't a zing but my CZ75 slide with 1911 night sights is a piece of work. The sights are Novaks and the work was done by Novaks 45 Shop. Was it expensive? Yes, but the new sights made a blind man see.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
408 Posts
if i were looking for supreme metal/finish work and wanted "the best" HP i could have, i would send it to Jim Garthwaite. The other two 'smiths that immediately come to mind are Richard Heinie and Kim Ahrends, but there waiting list is substantial.

This is not to discount any of the other smiths listed, as they are all known for tremendous work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RMLamey on 2001-07-03 17:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
98 Posts
Friar Tuck,
I've got samples or have owned samples of most of the listed Hi Power smiths. I concur with RMLamey on the Garthwaite comment. It seems that Jim's work exhibits the most detailed metal work. I have a couple of Garthwaite Hi Powers that were built several years ago, and I'm sure that his work is still as good if not better than 5 years ago. I've got a Wickmann era Novak Special Ops that is very simple, and a current era Novak Spec Ops done by Kevin Stump that is full house. It is hard to pick a favorite, but I've had a very good relationship with the Novak shop for some time, and they offer enough options for most. I've seen Garthwaite's 40lpi checkering and it was beautiful, but I must admit that I actually prefer the hand matting that the boys in West Virginia dole out!
Good luck,
Allan
P.S. If I get the time, I'll try to post a couple of pics of some different makers work.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have shot or owned BHP's by most of the folks thought to be tops in field with custom work on those pistols. C&S, Novak, Garthwaite and Wickmann.

Recommended a friend send his BHP .40 cal to Kurt Wickmann recently. Turn around time was excellent, and the work his "usual" outstanding stuff. This particular friend is a cop and shooting instructor on the west coast...he has seen and owned many pistols...he said it was the finest custom pistol work he had ever used.

Kurt is also one hell of a nice guy. You call him, he answers the phone. You have questions, he will answer them. Send him a gun, you will get it back in a reasonable amount of time. He has worked on several BHP's for me, that are shot heavily, and that is the basis of my recommendation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have two HP's. One was bought used immediately after being customized by EGW and the other I bought new, then sent to Kurt Wickmann for his Entry Pkg.

Since my EGW was bought used I don't have any personal experience with them. However, all I've read says they are top notch folks. The gun turned out very nice. It's not as accurate as I would have thought, or liked, though. But the work they performed was done with excellent detail. Its trigger is as good as some of my 1911's. All in all, I feel they did an excellent job.

My Wickmann HP is not as pretty looking as my EGW, but it IS a shooter. If I do my part, it will shoot 1-1.5" @ 15yds - off hand. Mind you, I'm not bullseye shooter. The gun just feels and points that well. All the work Kurt did was also performed with excellent detail. And, I can attest to his answering the phone each time I called and taking whatever time necessary to talk with me. Although, most of the times we were just BSing....The barrel crown he did is a work of art.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On 2001-07-03 17:25, RMLamey wrote:
if i were looking for supreme metal/finish work and wanted "the best" HP i could have, i would send it to Jim Garthwaite. The other two 'smiths that immediately come to mind are Richard Heinie and Kim Ahrends, but there waiting list is substantial.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RMLamey on 2001-07-03 17:26 ]</font>
Question: in your experience what kind of waiting time does Garthwaite have?

Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
Bear, Spoke with Jim ca. 1 1/2 yr's. ago re BHP work. FWIW, @ that time he would not have you send in the pistol until he was ready to work on it. His wait was in months not years like RH & Ahrends.

http://www.garthwaite.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-07-05 00:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi David,
Is that a factory barrel or did he put in a BarSto?

Did you checker it or leave it plain (sorry can't tell from photo)?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-07-07 10:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
35 Posts
beautiful ambi safety. Do you know if its available by itself?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Stippled on the grips and I have no idea if Garthwaite will sell the safety by itself. I know he builds it up himself but it might be worth a call. The barrel is actually factory. I had wanted a new barrel but Jim talked me into trying the factory barrel before spending money. As the test target shows, a new barrel wasn't needed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Blinder on 2001-07-09 07:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
David, did I read you correctly or do I need glasses? He talked you out of opting for an expensive barrel upgrade until you checked out the existing barrel? Wow. That speaks very highly of Jim as an individual.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I own one done by Wickmann and it is superb. Better than current Novak's production (which of course is very good).

Check out our own BK's review of his experience with Wickmann at http://members.tripod.com/BK_GLOCK_1911 ... power.html

Wickmann's site is http://www.kwgw.com

BTW, Wickmann told me the same thing about the barrels - if they don't shoot good usually a recrown will fix it. Note that BK's doesn't have a new barrel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JiminCA on 2001-07-24 00:03 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.