Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting an OWB for winter weather/range use. I was looking for one that's fairly narrow (in terms of how much space it takes up on the belt line). I'm trying to get one that will easily go between the belt loops on suits/khakis/etc. Sort of like a DOJ with a 15 degree rake. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Howze about a DOJ, with a 15° rake?
Sorry - couldn't resist it :smile: The DOJ-Askins Avenger-etc. style is available from many makers with angles from FBI to crossdraw. On my variations, however, putting one belt loop between the slot and the belt tunnel is always necessary, to get the position I want. "Single mount" rigs are available and are good range-field holsters, but don't pull the gunbutt in for concealment. I've had no luck in finding a good concealment rig which will fit between two belt loops, and have even had a tailor move a belt loop to try to accomodate this.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, yeah. Funny guy. More seriously, I thought about a custom DOJ but didn't think it would meet my needs. Maybe I need to reevaluate. I would really like to avoid the tailor route, although it is an option.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: buzz_knox on 2001-09-10 16:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Sort of like a DOJ with a 15 degree rake. Any suggestions?

OH! You mean a ACP. The DOJ and ACP in the original versions from Alessi were prototyped by the Cal. Dept. of Justice. Both were versions Bruce Nelson asked Lou Alessi to produce for that contact's tests. The DOJ is straight up, the ACP has a 15 degree FBI rake.

And I have the ACP in stock for a 5" gun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-10 16:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What other instruments of destruction is the ACP made for? Say . . . a Glock? Seriously, I'm thinking about picking up a USPc, and I've got a 229 looking for a good home.

As for 1911s, they just beg for a good IWB as opposed to a OWB. So thin, so svelte, so . . . okay, I need to stop now before I drool on my keyboard.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have been thinking the exact same thing over the last few days. I am thin, so the traditional pancake type holsters (and their offspring) can be too long in the fore so as to easily expose their front slot to prying eyes. The normal ACP and the new ACP-ish design with the snap that Mr Burns posted awhile back both look interesting. (Does that one have a name yet?)

My only quandry is that I was going to buy a buffalo-hide rig from Mr Waldon. Matching colours and things would be a real pain (I don't want black), so I think I am going to see if he can build me a fifteen degree canted 'tunnel and loop' holster with a few other additional custom touches. I promised not to bug him with any more emails for a little bit though, so I am going to have to wait to find out. :smile:

(buzz, about that USPc, do I need to hurry up and get those pictures developed, or are you looking more locally?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-09-10 17:39 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.