Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a topic on which I'd appreciate receiving some opinions.

In using a handgun and a combat light (Surefire or Streamlight) at night, I have found that if I keep one eye closed as I "flash illuminate" (i.e., click on, click off the light and then move), I am able to retain my natural "night vision" in the eye that I keep closed. Retaining this "night vision" in one eye greatly increases my ability to navigate in the dark between "flash illuminations." Any comments as to the validity or pitfalls of this technique? When or where it should or shouldn't be used? Tactical application? Etc.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm not sure why you would want to keep ANY eyes closed! You're not shining the light at yourself or into a mirror, are you? :wink:

Your night vision should not be compromised that much for you to worry about it. Hell, there's a good thread going right now that says even the BG's vision isn't compromised that much if you shine the "light sabre of death" in his eyes. :roll:

I would instead concentrate on "flash and dash" tactics, where you momentarily use your light, then immediately shut it off and move positions (assuming you are exposed, and there is no immediate cover.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
This technique "might" work in a controlled situation, such as a night shoot on the range. I certainly wouldn't want to trust my life to this technique. Identifying your target, and moving would be much more effective, in my opinion.

·
Registered
262 Posts
On 2001-08-15 09:23, nr123 wrote:
This technique "might" work in a controlled situation, such as a night shoot on the range. I certainly wouldn't want to trust my life to this technique. Identifying your target, and moving would be much more effective, in my opinion.
Yep. I subscribe to the Light-Move-Shoot school of thinking. You ID the target, switch the light off and get out of the way of the probable incoming while shooting. It takes a little practice, but Sims training has shown me that if you don't start moving before you shoot, the light makes an excellent bullet magnet.

I don't really care for the FBI method. The light isn't far enough away from the body for my tastes.

I tried the SureFire red lens cap for a while, thinking that it would preserve my night vision (and because it's a pretty nifty doo-dad :smile:). While the red light does keep your night vision mostly intact, your night vision is screwed anyway as soon as you fire the first shot, so why bother?

Questions, comments?

Chad

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm not willing to diminish my vision by keeping one eye closed while my flashlight is on. If I'm going to turn on that flashlight, I want to SEE everything I can.

Range practice can give one the impression that the flashlight can be used very sparingy. In more complicated settings, one will find oneself using the light more and for longer intervals out of necessity.

Rosco

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rosco Benson on 2001-08-15 09:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
934 Posts
My personal experience pretty much reflects what everyone has said so far. Forget the one eye closed thing. Any tiny advantage you might gain isn't worth the complexity you'll be adding to any life-threatening, stressful situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.