Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new commander size IAI 1911. It is my second 1911 and I got it to use as a practice gun before I screwed up my Colt. It is loaded with several extras, it was cheap ($328) and it is 100% reliable. BUT,
it shoots 6" low at 25 yrds. Not exactly what I wanted , as you can imagine. The barrel and link seem to be within spec, and so does the frame. Also the slide does not mate up flush with the rear of the frame. It travels forward of the frame 1/8" or so. I know someone is going to tell me that you get what you pay for, and I agree for the most part. But I researched IAI before I bought this pistol and they are using CMC frames and slides, so does Kimber I'm told. Should I get an oversize bushing and try to fit it higher in the slide to bring the POI up to POA ?

Thanks

Baddog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shane,
They are fixed, low profile, 3 dot. I'm quite sure they are made by CMC.

Baddog

·
Registered
705 Posts
Welcome baddog -- always nice to have another canine roaming the kennel. :grin:

I will leave it to the smiths to offer you more specific advice, but I did find it interesting that IMI is using CMC frames and slides. I am not doubting what you read, but I am curious where you got this information? I have handled a few of those pistols and they did not appear to be of that quality. Considering the price point they sell at, I wonder how that would be possible?

Can anyone else verify this?

DD

·
Registered
391 Posts
Buy an unfitted match style barrel and fit it so that the firing pin hits the primer dead center and the slide does not go forward of the frame. Somebody has gone bonkers on that one with a chain saw file.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Actually, I heard a different story. When I visited Israel last year, I asked about the IAI 1911's and was told they are made in Spain.
Does Llama sound familiar?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The paperwork that came with the pistol says that they use all CMC parts. I used to have a Llama and there is no comparison. This is a far better gun than than POS could ever be. However, they might have gotten thir act together since then. Besides, I bought this so I can learn and practice some basic gunsmith skills. I can work on this and not screw up my Colt. Kind of like therapy :wink:

Baddog

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Could you post some pics of this pistol? I've seen some, but they were iddy-biddy and I couldn't make out the detail...

:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think the new barrel/ bushing combo is the way I will go, but I solved my problem for now by slapping my .22 conversion on it and leaving it there. I went out and got a new SA loaded this weekend, so I have plenty of toys to play with for a while.
I'll try and post some quality pic of the IAI this week for you gyp_c2.

Thanks
Baddog

1 - 9 of 9 Posts