Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Open Top 22 WITH ejector as part of the barrel. It is broken and only the rod remains, but can't seem to be able to remove if for repair or replacement and what else is missing besides the thumb end? Should there be a spring like the SA? A schematic would be helpful..Thanks...Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks One Eye Joe, but no help there. I really need a collector who has one that will take the time to talk to me...Jim

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm surprised, Jim. Good luck in your quest.............

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm wondering if what you have is indeed an open top and not a New Line (they're very similar). The New Line has a rod ejector on the right side of the barrel, just like the later model Colts. The original Open Top, does not have an ejector on the barrel. At any rate, it may cost you a few dollars, but Colt can furnish you a schematic for a fee. Any CAPABLE gun smith can access the situation and most likely repair the pistol. Parts will be almost non-existent.
BTW: The loading gate will have a small "V" spring holding it closed (if memory serves me...one or two models played with a plunger and spring). The ejector rod housing is easily machined, as is the rod itself and the thumb piece. Any new coil spring can be sized to work inside the housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silhouette: Yes a limited number of old model Open Top .22's were indeed made with ejector rod. All seem to be in the 4 digit serial numbers and below. The housing was milled as part of the barrel, not removable as with the SA. The rod is there, but the thumb end has been broken off. I cannot get the rod out and do not want to force it until I speak with another owner to see how it is removed and if any other parts are missing. (spring?) Thanks for your input....Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Parts list for Open top .22...notice the three separate units...9, 10 & 11. If it's this model...the ejector housing must come off. Perhaps these guys can offer some advice. Sorry, no schematic.
Colt Parts
P.O.Box 65641
Vancouver, WA 98665
360-737-2658
Hours 8:00 - 5:00 Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

OLD LINE .22 Open Top MODEL
MFG. 1871-1877

KEY
1 Barrel…………………………………
2 Cylinder………………………………
3 Frame…………………………………
4 Barrel Lock…………………………..
5 Barrel Lock Screw……………………
6 Hammer………………………………
7 Hammer Screw……………………….
8 Side Plate……………………………..
9 Ejector Housing………………………
10 Ejector Rod……………………………
11 Ejector Head…………………………..
12 Trigger…………………………………
13 Trigger Spring…………………………
14 Trigger Screw…………………………..
15 Bolt…………………………………….
16 Bolt Screw………………………………
17 Hand……………………………………
18 Hand Spring…………………………….
19 Mainspring……………………………..
20 Grips……………………………………
21 Grip Screw………………………………
22 Escutcheon………………………………

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are a couple examples of Open Top's with the ejector. The housing is milled as part of the barrel and the ejector rod and thumb piece appear to be one piece and not 2 pieces as on a SA. I think the rod is removed through the front, but would like to be sure. Still waiting for help from a Open Top owner...Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
From what I see, the only way to get the ejector rod out is to dismantle the pistol, push the rod rearward until it can be grasped by leather padded vise grips and un-screw it from the thumb piece (while holding the thumb piece in a similar fashion). A bit of Liquid Wrench over night might be beneficial. Unfortunately, the last (most descriptive) picture here seems to have a piece of tape or fluff over the juncture of the ejector rod and the thumb piece, so it's hard to tell. I would hate to think the two pieces are soldered together!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately the other 2 pictures I posted were cut off. However the thunb piece and rod are milled in one piece. Must slip out from the muzzle end?? Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
I racking my brain here...If you push the ejector all the way in..can you see a retainer (pin or C clip) and washer in front of the spring? If the thumb piece and rod are a single piece, then something has to be in front of and behind the spring...otherwise it would just recoil into the chamber in the cylinder. I'm really stretching here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
One HAND will know.....contact J B Wood....Corydon Ky....J B has helped Me out lots of times...once on a top break smith & wesson...flat spring that lifts the extractor was missin , J B said , " make one from a double edge razor blade"

Wild Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts