Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased West Coast Bullets copper clad or plated if you like, they are 200gr swc with a .451 dia. They resemble Hornady 200gr fmj-ct #451157. (The Hornady bullet is set at oal=1.230, with powder WIN231=5.7gr.)
Would appreciate hearing what you use for an oal and WIN231 powder charge for the west coast bullet described. If you could also point me to documentation along with your settings even better.
If you use a like bullet let me know your configuration.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FortyFive:
I load 5.4gr W231 with the West Coast swc. Nice accurate load for my guns. Here's the OAL trick I use that has given me NO problems, yet :smile:.
I have a Dillon 650 press, Dillon dies. I load a 230 RN to the book depth, then turn the die over to the swc side and "load away". I have had 1 FTF in 500-600 rounds, through 6 different guns. YMMV
Walt

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm using AA#5 but I load them out to 1.250 with good results...No FTF or FTE...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, good support on your end.
I reloaded a few West Coast Plated Bullets, they are 200gr SWC, powder is W231 5.2gr, and the OAL is about 1.253. I don't have a chrono but after researching load manuals an OAL of 1.240 should be considered.
The completed rounds cycled the 1911 just fine, no feed problems at all. The recoil spring is 18.5#. Recoil is very soft so the ammo provides for a good target/practice round. Most of all it is clean compared to lead swc I have been shooting.
The Dillon 550 was setup to reload lead SWC 200gr and I didn't change a thing, went right into reloading the plated stuff.
I am impressed with this bullet and after shooting maybe a 1,000 rounds will get back with how a longer test went.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I tried to load the West Coast 200 gr. plated SWC. But I could never get it to function at all, in several different guns. I loaded to 1.25 length and they feed somewhat reliably, with 1 feed ramp malfunction every 20 rounds or so. I used 5.5 grains of W231. I believe the chronographed speed was just under 850 fps. Since I couldn't get them to feed reliably, I switched to 200 gr. round nose and have stuck with it since.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is strange RickyT, it sounds like your loading about like I am and so far so good. What type brass do you use and do you recall your taper crimp measurement? I taper crimp at about .469 to .470.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On 2001-07-14 17:32, Ironside wrote:
I use Ranier 200 gr. plated SWC, mixed cases,
OAL 1.245 to 1.255, 4.7grs. Bullseye, and a Lee Factory Crimp Die, with excellent results.
Question. I use the Lee Factory Crimp on a Dillon 650 XL. I have trimmed all the cases to .893" o.a. and am loading a 200 gr SWC Laser Cast to an overall length of 1.25" with a .469" crimp. Once the cartridge is inserted allt he way into the die it seems sticky in trying to bring the ram down and I have traced the problem to the crimp die. Do you have this occur? I never have these problems with .44 mag or any other calibers.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.