Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting a military style rifle. Unfortunately my knowledge of these types of guns is slim at best. My budget is in the neighborhood of $1K. I would be interested in hearing the pros and cons of the ar-15 / ak-47 / cetme 308 / ect.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need to check out the M1A scout!!
Pick up just about any gun magazine & they usually have an artical on it. It usually goes for $1300.00. It offers the best of both worlds, small(barrel: 18") like the Mini 14 types but with the power of a .308. Or the full size M1A(barrel: 22") can be found for $1150.00. I own a M1A National Match. AWESOME!
Thats my .02 cents worth,
Espi

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would chose the M1A it is accurate, reliable and tuff. I am a firearms instuctor in the Navy and currently teach a very dynamic shooting course. The guns are in the dirt all the time and shot allot. I have seen the M14 (M1A for civilians) keep on running under less than ideal conditions. They are not very dirt sensitive and I think the M16 (AR15) is. There are other things to be considered as well the .223 is a good round but if you can handle the .308 it is a better round. I don't feel the M16 is as user friendly as the M1A either. I shoot left handed and the M1A is far better if shooting lefty, (need to be able to use your gun weak side too).
The FN's are also great guns very sturdy and reliable. The G-3 style rifle is not great if you plan to reload as it can be hard on brass. If you need a smaller rifle, carbine, it is hard to beet the AK. Both the gun and ammo are not expensive and they are very tuff and reliable. Hope my rambling helps.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
A SERVICE Grade Springfield M1A is hard to beat, even if you miss the $99 SCOPE Offer.
Check GunBroker.Com and AuctionArms.Com for some VERY Good Deals. You can check this fellow "eGuns" and "haveguns" for some very low prices on NEW M1As. VERY Good deals on use ones though out the Net.

·
Registered
658 Posts
What to get depends (at least to some extent) on what you want the rifle for. Casual target shooting? Service rifle competition? Varmit hunting? Big game hunting? Self-defense? Simply to own it?

For self-defense the 7.62mm round fired by the M1A, Garand, G3, FAL, etc should be more effective. You do have a greater penetration risks compared to 5.56mm ammo. The AR and clones will be cheaper to run and reload for, and are more comfortable to shoot and generally lighter.

-Pete

·
Registered
253 Posts
DSA has an FAL built from all STG-58 parts that is a carbine that looks like a honey. Check out the DSA website and all the articles.

I would think where you clean your rifle would be of little concern unless you have a rifle that won't run if it is a little dirty. I have a M14S that I have run 500 rds through without cleaning and it has never missed a beat.

Steyr Scout: I had a chance to fire one of these lately. Very nice rifle but bolt lift was heavy and it wouldn't consistently fire surplus ammo. As I said, nice rifle but 2 grand + nice it ain't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'm mostly interested in a "just in case" gun. I don't reload so weather or not the gun is hard one the brass in not much of a concern. On the other hand, I'm not going to buy a gun and leave it in the gun case. It's going to get shot so availability/price of ammo is an issue. Also my girlfriend will be using the gun as well so I have o take this into consideration when looking at weight/recoil. She likes to shoot, but if she doesn't like the gun she won't shoot it (i let her shoot my .45 and now she doesn't want anything o do w/ her .380). I'm really leaning toward the either the ar-15's or the ak-47's. Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Being that you're looking for a "just in case" gun, and I'd assume that your primary concern is in the house, and with the weight and recoil concerns, I would suggest the M4. It's extremely handy, the shorter overall length would be much easier to get around the house, and the telescoping stock allows you to fire it with the stock extended or collapsed while keeping it to your shoulder. Additionally, there are kits available for adding lights and other equipment to configure them for for CQB use.
If you could get your girlfriend to agree, though, I would go with the M1A Scout. As with the M4, the shorter barrel makes it handier; it's longer and heavier than the M4, and has more recoil, but it is a much more useful gun overall.
Lastly, I would avoid foreign weapons, as the availability of parts and ammunition for American guns will be continuous and relatively inexpensive, while the availability and cost of parts (and ammunition for guns like the AK) for any foreign gun will be much more dependent on the market and/or politics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we went last night and fired some rifles that a work buddy of mine owns. i think that it's narrowed down to the AR-15 M-4. The guy we went w/ highly reccomends the Bushmaster. Does anyone have any suggestions as to other makers in the $1K range?

·
Registered
92 Posts

With A4 Non-collapsible Buttstock, Black only -- Retail $950
Rock River Arms

BEFORE you spend any Money, check out Rock River, some of the best fitted AR-15 Uppers & Lowers on the market.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frank Sottile on 2001-10-18 23:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
253 Posts
A non collapsible buttstock is the worst of both worlds. You can't get a good cheek weld and the damn thing won't get any shorter. I think the A1 buttstock is much better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillD on 2001-10-19 10:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you are looking for an AR-15 I would suggest Rock River. I don't own one, shoot, I don't own an AR. When I do I will pick up a Rock River though. I have shot a few Bushmaster's, a few DPMS, a few Cav. Arms, and a few Colts, and one Les Baer. For the money I would go with Rock River, they have a bit of a wait at times, but the quality is definatly there. If you can wait AR15.com has a group purchase that will be going on next year, and every year after for three more years hopefully. They started it last year with a Rock River that was extremely nice for $660. This year's looks to be quite impressive and should run around $1000. Take a look.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2001-10-19 07:55, BillD wrote:
A non collapsible buttstock is the worst of both worlds. You can't get a good cheek weld and the damn thing won't get any shorter. I think the A1 buttstock is much better.
I have a fake collapsible on my AR in .45, it makes it a bit lighter, and smaller overall. The cheek weld is not as important given it's short range use. (I have a compact acog on their now too, Colt's ARE teh Lego of guns after all :smile:

·
Registered
93 Posts
about that nondeflatable butt:
Cna you not have it pinned at any position?
Does it have to be pinned in the fully-extended?
Is it a minimum overall-length problem?

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2001-11-10 03:54, youngun wrote:
about that nondeflatable butt:
Cna you not have it pinned at any position?
Sure, if you have one pinned. Most of them are bought pinned/ fixed so it's not an option. A lot of the non-collapsing ones also use a full-length buffer/ buffer tube.

Does it have to be pinned in the fully-extended?
Is it a minimum overall-length problem?
No overall length problem, since even fully collapsed an AR still has the buffer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On 2001-10-19 21:24, VoceNoctum wrote:
[quote:232qhecj]

I have a fake collapsible on my AR in .45, it makes it a bit lighter, and smaller overall. The cheek weld is not as important given it's short range use. (I have a compact acog on their now too, Colt's ARE teh Lego of guns after all :smile:
[/quote:232qhecj]

A non collapsible on a long gun in a pistol caliber? Now we are really getting into some useless territory. I am sure it is fun to shoot but if you are shooting a long gun, the length being the same, why would you want a pistol caliber over a rifle caliber? And for accuracy's sake, I would say a cheek weld on any long gun is important.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Amack;

If money is a concern, Kiesler's wholesale seems to have a HUGE amount of Bushy's at cheap prices. If you have the $$$ take a look at Les Baer's line. I own a Colt post-ban right now, a 6731 with a 16" heavy barrel that I like bunches, but I was able to buy it for CHEAP. I was looking at a Bushy dissipator first. I haven't any first hand experience with RRA but I have seen a Baer varmint model and it is AWESOME. Of the 4 AR geeks shooting that day, all of us were getting tighter groups with the Baer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.