Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dane, Heinie , Larry, Steve.....
whats new? I was wondering if there are any new developments coming from your shops? new ideas with the 1911 that no one has thought of yet? (if you can share with us) :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-07-01 18:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
New? A totally different front strap and main spring housing treatment that I think is innovative and appropriate for my shop's style of guns and their use.

A "new" rendention of two types of old beavertails more appropriate for carry guns than what is currently available.

Both the new textureing and one of the beavertail styles I should be able to post pictures later in the week.

The BCP "carry guns" line of parts, starting with the trigger works.

More? Three styles of barrels available in 9x23 now. Plain, heavy bull, or my old stand by FLUTED. Fluted gives longer barrel life in 9x23 and shaves weight back down to a standard 45.

Then there are two new styles of belt holsters from Alessi, the one shown with a snap on rear loop that is very impressive for stability and concealbility and a newer, rock solid, even smaller profile belt rig still in prototype stages.

All that and more with a trip to Kosovo working with SOG thrown in for good measure by fall. Because of that involvement I will have GWH and ACP holsters for the Beretta 92 holsters and the Sig 228s available soon. I will be shooting them this week in prototype form.

Not really what you asked but my partner in the rifle making business...he works and I talk :grin: Mike Kizler, has his web site coming on line soon at http://www.kizlers.com and my buddy Lou Alessi has his web site up and can accept PayPal at http://www.alessileather.com.

Pete is their web master also and I have a bunch of photos going up for both.

Some of the new goodies available right now or soon from BCP!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-11-01 20:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...wouldn't happen to have a shorter down-turn tail comin' available would ya'?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice to see the fluted barrels Dane. I have a "thing" for them, especially on a bull barrel. :cool:

We've got some new stuff going on and in the in the works at MD Labs:

1- Our new, as yet unnamed, bonded resin finish. So far this stuff in initial tests has proven itself to be TOUGH and wears very well. It does not exhibit the chipping we have seen with other polymer type finished. We are using a new method of preparation combined with a multistage application. The finish has Teflon and moly in it so lubrication is built in. Combined with chef Mad Dog's other herbs and spices this provides excellent lubricity, you can run the gun without additional lubrication if need be. The corrosion resistance exceeds 1000 hours Mil-spec salt spray test. We are working on getting it to stick to hard chrome! We feel will that will be the ultimate finish for hard use guns, knives and other tools.

2- There is a lot going on with the GunGrips, but I can't reveal any more at this time. New 1911 models and perhaps new guns.

3- We are offering brazed on sights and plunger tubes for the utmost in relliability and durability.

4- We are designing a few 1911 parts with Mad Dog specs, materials and heat treatment.

5- Long range 338 Lapua Mag rifle on a Dakota action with Obermeyer 5R barrel. The stock will be made from our proprietary composite. A sister project will be built on a wildcat cartridge pushing a 450 grain bullet at about 4000 fps.
6- We are (still) working on our gunsmithing website, http://www.harduseguns.com. Should have something up pretty soon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve Morrison on 2001-07-02 11:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
262 Posts
On 2001-07-02 11:26, Steve Morrison wrote:
1- Our new, as yet unnamed bonded resin finish. So far this stuff in initial tests has proven itself to be TOUGH. It does not exhibit the chipping we have seen before. What we are doing is a new method of preparation combiend with a multistage application. The finish has Teflon and moly in it so lubrication is built in. Combined with chef Mad Dog's other herbs and spices provides excellent lubricity, you can run the gun without additional lubrication if need be. The corrosion resistance exceeds 1000 hours Mil-spec salt spray test. We are working on getting it to stick to hard chrome! We feel will be the ultimate finish for harduse guns, knives and other tools.
Steve, how 'bout making it a contest? Start a new thread and ask folks to contribute possible names for the new wonder finish. You and the MDL crew pick the winner, who receives a set o' grips or a free refinish with the newly named stuff.

Chad

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing about some of the innovations that haven't worked out -- the dead ends, the failed projects, and the neat ideas that didn't survive the transition off the drawing board.

For example, how many other "long nines" did Dane experiment with before he decided to stick with the 9x23mm? How many grip textures did Ned try before he came up with Conamyds? What other shapes did Richard Heinie try before he settled on his famous sights?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
9mms? Here is my list of major 9mms that I have built 1911s for, 38 Super, 9mm Para, 9mm/223, 9x21, 356TSW, 9x23S, 9mm Super Comp, 38 Super Comp, Winchester 9x23.

Grip frame textures, bald, checkered @ 40, 30, 25, 20 lpi. Serrations @ 30, 25, 20, 18 lpi. Tiger tooth stimpling, ACP stimpling, Novak's stimpling, BCP stimpling, Heinie's scallops and now the "WAVE" coming this week after two versions of it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Matt, can't say that I experimented too much developing Conamyds. I did something somewhat similar about 12 years ago, where I checkered with the EDM, leaving not pyramids but cones. Well, any time I can stay out of the EDM I do it, so I came up with a way to do the same thing, but without the EDM. Both versions were just way too sharp unless you were walking on hot coals at the same time, so naturally, I wound up truncating the cones. Didn't fool around with it much again until the last couple of years. The idea for the final version-- Conamyds-- went through a few iterations in my mental prototyping shop, then I went straight to 1911 steel (a customer who had agreed to being my Guinea pig).

Truth is there are so many mutations of Conamyds that could be done that I don't even mention it. There is another pattern I call Truncamyds that is not on the site, but that's, um, only due to the minor little detail that I haven't actually done it to a gun yet.

I guess you've seen the Shallowmyds; they're pretty new (as far as I can tell),but they're already on the site so they don't count.

I have thought about offering mainspring housings, but I don't know that very many 'smiths would be interested. There are a few things I like to do on a 1911 magwell (when there is no separate, added-on magwell) that are a little different, and one requires some weld. The other sometimes requires that I fight to get rid of the last of the old, existing serrations at the very top rear. I wish I could buy a "blank" mainspring housing with the material already there in these two areas-- and towards that end I got a quote on getting some made in pre-hard (32RC) 4140. I would probably be "my own best customer", but if I get any made it will be a minimum of 50, and I will offer them for sale.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gents:
I just received my frame back from Ned last Fri for his Shallowmyd treatment. I highly recommend this type of checkering for aluminum frames or frames with thin front straps. Ned is a gentleman and very easy to deal with and produces first-rate work in a very reasonable time.

Ned:
I'm starting to get used to your Conamyds and now you're talking about the Truncamyds... what's next?

Thong
(A happy customer)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tcao on 2001-07-03 09:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I only offer new barrels fluted, sorry Shay. The beavertails are shorter but not "turned down" in my mind. They offer a very high grip either way. Better yet they will both be drop in parts for a Kimber!! (read NO modification needed other than fitting the safety)

I'll have one version of the beavertail on the newest gun I am building with the "wave" front strap texture. That gun should be pictured here by next week. Fingers crossed getting it done!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The holster and mag pouch combo has been around since June '01 now.

The "WAVE" came shortly after that and is now in shooters hand all over the Nation. The BCP hammer. sear and disconnector sets hit the streets even before the guns were done. There are more things coming. Including a full "WAVE" gun, more parts and more leather designs.

They are indeed, "interesting times". The one thing planned that actually didn't happen was that I didn't go to Kosovo. I really needed to get some work done anyway :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-11-01 20:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
30 Posts
i'm a lil skeptical on a "bonded" PTFE or moly. the performance of those materials under the microscope is movement, and though they hold, they will reduce in presence, thus, losing effectiveness.

just use a high quality lube like TW-25B, and you only have to relube ever so often, and protect the gun too without committing to a bonding event. that stuff bonds freely anyway. http://www.bluepress.com sells it now, and of course, http://www.glockmeister.com

·
Registered
581 Posts
Dane, why in the hell would you want to go to Kosovo? I have spent way too much time in that part of the world since 1992 and have grown sick of it actually.

The best part about the Balkans is that I left Somalia for Bosnia. I even dropped in Kosovo earlier last week, and it still hasn’t changed. Beautiful scenery, but a very screwed up country.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.