Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this new SA.

What do you think? Unfortunatly, it is back at SA for some "sear tuning" that they forgot!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nathan on 2001-08-27 17:33 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nathan on 2001-08-28 04:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nathan on 2001-08-28 06:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nathan on 2001-08-28 19:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nathan on 2001-08-28 19:44 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nathan on 2001-08-28 20:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nathan on 2001-08-28 20:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you have a fine weapon. I fired mine for the first time this past Saturday. I was spoiled after the first 5 shot group. Sorry it had to go back to SA.

·
Registered
876 Posts
How can it be a fine weapon when it is already back at the manufacturer to be completed? I think we have come to a sorry pass when a gunmaker is judged by how well he fixes a gun that should not have been shipped in the first place. The problem seems worse for copies of Colt 1911s and SAAs. Can 21st century manufacturing not turn out 19th century designs?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I basically agree Jim, except can you say anyone's name, custom smiths included, that have never taken a gun back for repair? Places like SA that eagerly take their guns back and repair them in less than a month are still good in my opinion. If they were shipping lots of junk, they would be backlogged by 6 months or more IMHO. So basically, I would like to see how the gun is after I receive it again before I get too upset.

P.S. Can you see the picture?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nathan on 2001-08-28 00:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nathan,
I too have just purchased a new SA SS loaded 1911. Not only has my guid rod been backing out , but so has the set screw for the rear sight. But the thing that has me realy bothered is the slide catch, it will not hold the slide open when loading a new clip. Have you had this occur to you?

Stay Hard Brother.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My SA "Loaded" was putting its rounds into the outermost ring at 8:00 - using the 50yd RIFLE target at 50 feet. As there were also rub marks on the left side of the slide, I suspect the slide, the frame, or even both were mis-machined.

It spent 7 or 8 weeks at SA (which closed the entire week of July 4th), being remachined and reblued.

It now shoots the outermost black ring of that same target, at 10:00.

Note that the sight is so tightly wedged into the dovetail that, with the set screw completely removed and the slide secured in a vise (protected by pine blocks), even a urethane hammer applied to a drift held against the sight would not move it.

I expected better from SA. I am sending it to SVI to be fitted with a special barrel bushing, which may help.

Just one shooter's experience.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just got my SA loaded Champion and posted a problem earlier about the extractor being over cut and failing to extract the round. I wondered about SA's quality control, although overall fit and finish on my gat seems to be fine for a production gun. So far it prints respectable groups and with the new extractor, it runs fine. I did not want to send it back for something like a new extractor. Hope you dont have to wait to long.

My .02

Aloha :grin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.