Pistol Smith Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have an IDPA scoring question for you.
Granted that I beleive Jim explained that the match/club is not following the official curriculum I cannot figure out their final scoring method.
In the second stage qualifier that I shot, I shot a score of 36 for the entire stage, not my best work clearly...Anyhow, I was then penalized for returning my empty magazines to their pouches during the reload, I was also penalized for shooting the targets out of order (I shot the closest targets and the diagonal targets with a clear line of sight on me -first- most dangerous right?) fianl score 84.72 for the qualifiers. I shot a box stock Glock 23 with Heinie sights and they listed me in unknown class and unknown skill? I clearly do not understand this game/sport??? as I can shoot 10 rds all A or "0" Zone hits @ 15 yards in less than 2 seconds with this same Glock 23 with the same 180 gr loads, what gives? Do I need faster times?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-05-26 10:18 ]</font>

· Registered
58 Posts
You might want to look for a new IDPA club.

1. You don't get penalized for storing an empty mag. It slows you down, but you shouldn't get penalized for it. Nothing in the rules state that you cannot store an empty mag. The only penalty that can be assessed is dropping a loaded mag, and not retrieving it.

2. You always shoot in tactical order unless specified otherwise. Tactical order is to shoot the first visible target when cutting the pie or if multiple targets are present, shoot from close to far. Tactical spread is sometimes used, that's where targets are same distance, and you shoot each with 1 shot and come back and do it again.

Glocks can be shot in stock service pistol, and enhanced service pistol or custom defensive pistol depending on the caliber.

I'm a little confused with the "classifier" that you shot. The IDPA classifer has the three targets 2 yards apart at 4,5, and 6 feet high. There shouldn't be a closer target because they are all the same distance from you.

The scoring system is fairly simple. On the targets you have a -0, -1 and -3 zones. We refer to them as A, C, and D, it's an IPSC thing. If you hit all A's, you are 0 points down. Theoritically an A hit is worth 5 points, but the scoring is simpler to work with using points down. With the classifier there should be 10 shots per target per stage. So say you shot 27 A's and 2 C's and a D on the first stage. You will be 4 points down. Take your total time say (20 seconds), add 3 seconds per procedural error in this case 0, add the points down times 0.5 (7 x 0.5=3.5), 5 seconds per hostage shot, 5 second for failure to neutralize a target (less than 4 pts on a target, basically 1 D and a miss). The total time would be 23.5 seconds. Most people don't understand the scoring because it's not published.

Since it's not a true IDPA classifier, you time might not mean anything. Go to http://www.idpa.com/classifier/classif1.htm That's the classifier and the times breakdown.

· Registered
473 Posts
I hate to say I told you so,but refer to my earlier post. # out of four times we can't figure out his scoring. They make it up. For example one shoot penilized you 30 points fo a missed target and 40 if you hit a no shoot. They never shoot IDPA matches outside of their club. If you check their Classifier sheets you'll find that the same guys have been shooting every month and never join IDPA. IDPA should revoke their affiliation. The problem with the Classifier is also that they put their targets a foot apart which saves quite a lot of time and bumps your Classification up one level. If you are a true Sharpshooter then you will qualify as an expert there. I tried to explain that it has to be exact so that a SS from CA is on the same rank as a SS from PA. Running the way they do is all about the money. Squeeze two stages in the place of one and you can run twice as many shooters and make twice the money.
Come to our range and all will explained,and we only charge 10. In the year or two I shot there, He has yet to give a trophy, plaque, or a certificate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jm10mm on 2001-05-26 22:34 ]</font>

· Registered
58 Posts
Anyone ever show up with a rule book?

I can't imagine them shooting IPSC/USPSA. USPSA would have a cow if they saw that they were altering their classifiers. Imagine a club that has all grandmaster shooters, shooting at 100%. That would piss off the pro's.

· Registered
71 Posts
I've shot IDPA and IPSC. For me, IPSC is a lot more fun. Apart from that, I'm not sure that IDPA is any more real-world oriented. In a real world scenario, how many people will stop shooting long enough to do a tactical reload? My hunch is that 99% of us will shoot to slide lock--if we get that far. Secondly, in the "real world," how many civilians will engage multiple targets in tactical order? In probably 90% of civilian shootings, it will be one or two BG's, be upfront and personal (a few yards at the max), and end in a few rounds. Most gunfights don't take place in the OK Corral.

· Registered
548 Posts
You can download a rulebook from the IDPA website.

David, whatever club you shot at, it wasn’t an IDPA club, maybe a locals version of it. But not a real IDPA club by any stretch. You might want to ask them for a copy of their rulebook.

10 rounds in 2 seconds into a -0 IDPA target at 15 yards? Holy shit! I’m glad you don’t shoot IPSC. I can’t get my Steyr drawn from concealment in under one second consistently, and my splits don’t get much below .23 at 15 yards.

Where again is this club? The next time I am at Fort Dix or McGuire AFB, I would really like to stop in and visit them.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok,
I stopped at CP and asked them to explain the scoring system, the regular RO that usually runs the matches was not the guy that ran that match...anyhow they explained how they came to the scores, I think..
Now that I have actually taken the time to read the IDPA book they sent me when I joined (hey I wore the hat at least once) I am more familiar with the subject at hand.. I Know, I Know, but I really hate reading instructions and I thought the red book was the instructions etc...punish me at will guys.
Tom,
That is not really as fast a time as it may seem, it is not from leather, it is a test of pistol control and recoil absorbtion more than anything. (sorry for the confusion) my requirements for a defensvie pistol from leahter are 1.5 seconds for 5 rounds at the same distance as most people can draw and fire from the buzzer at like .6-.9. I will often practice my reflexes by "catching the dollar", take your friend and a $1 bill, have your friend hold the bill by the end corner in between your two open fingers, next have them say "go" and you grab the dollar as it falls with your fingers, after a few weeks you should be able to grab the dollar at mid point. If you miss the dollar altogether go and see a DR. as you may not be alive.....
In all seriousness as I told Garrity at the match, I am just glad I can hit the targets and not hurt anyone...

· Registered
473 Posts
David, What diagonal targets did you shoot in the classifier. All targets should be the same distance. The targets should be set at 6-4-5ft in that order and 6ft apart.

The storage of the mag is clear in the rule book, pocket,waistband or mag pouch. There isn't any penalty for putting it back in the pouch.

· Registered
73 Posts
David,

I run an IDPA match about 1 hour from CP http://www.eastontacticalops.com We shoot the fourth sunday of the month at 12:30 PM. Please come by and shoot a match sometime. Match fee is $10.00.

CP has an interesting IDPA program but they stray from the rules quite a bit. That is not to say it isn't grand trigger time (it is) but you need to get out and see what the other IDPA clubs in the area are doing.

Most of the Stock Service Pistol guys are shooting Glocks, though Berettas are found too. I shoot a G22 (or G17 depending on my ammo supply) myself. I have two sig shooters, one with a .40 and one with a .45. FWIW, I believe the Beretta Elite II in 9mm is a phenomenal game gun for IDPA SSP, if playing the game is your goal. (though it is a nice carry gun too if you are capable of conealing it).

There are some M1911 shooters and they run the gamut from Charles Dailys to Wilson's. Calibers: 45acp, .38 super and 9x23 are used. Had a .40 S&W M1911 shooter but he started his own business and fell off the face of the earth as a result.

Holsterwise, there are some kydex from blade tech, some helweg gear, and a few other types. I use a Sparks IWB rig myself, and there are a few others that use IWB's at my club as well (ken null and some fellow from Broomall Pa). We mandate concealment, but we relax it for the beginning shooters. I usually relax it for some of the hotter months too, though there are a few of us who shoot concealed no matter what the weather.

Most of the shooters show up and gear up, though there is a small grouop who show up ready to play with their street gear. (I do have a large number of NJ shooters who cannot carry, therefore they gear up at the safe area)

my email is [email protected] if you have any questions about the club. IDPA membership is not required for your first match so anyone interested please come on up!

As far as USPSA goes, I shoot it about once a month, at Lower Providence Rod and Gun club. I usually shoot concealed and in my IDPA gear. There is much value in USPSA shooting as the targets are usually more of a challenge to engage though the scenarios/stages are almost impossible to shoot using cover or other tactical doctrines. You get what you put into , like any other shooting dicipline. I once heard IDPA BOD Walt Rauch say something to the effect that anytime you are dropping the hammer you are doing something worthwile for yourself, and we were shooting USPSA at the time :smile:

Take care & D.V.C.

Ted Murphy

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.