Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an idea I've been mulling over for a while. If it's possible and not overly expensive I'm thinking of having this done for the "homemade STI Edge" I've posted about recently. It seems that it would require some different milling operations and would be more complicated than the usual type. Also, you'd have to trim the sides of the sight blade to allow it to adjust side-to-side inside its little "box". To anyone with milling/smithing experience, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Oh, and I'm sure the first question on a lot of folks minds is "why?". Basically it is just a matter of cosmetics. I like the setup on the Springfield TRP Operator:

I also like the partially hidden rear sight leaf on the two guns shown here:

So when you combine them it's something like this:

Here's a couple pics of the Bo-Mar, with blade cut down so windage adjustment will work:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Each to their own. Personally, I think the SA installation is the ugliest thing I've seen. I LIKE the idea of getting as much sight radius as I can, as well as having the cleanest, least cluttered sight picture possible.

Any "hard use" pistol should have fixed sights; dialed in for the real-world defensive load mandated or chosen. If one has to mount a BoMar in such a manner so as to protect the rear sight blade against possible damage, you've just invalidated the selection of said sight for your intended purpose(s).

I'd recommend that you save yourself some time (and a slide). Use a Heinie SlantPro or standard Heinie sight with the rear of the slide grooved to match. I think you'd be happier with the results and the sight picture. If in doubt, find a SA Operator and take a look. If you're STILL not sure, at least try your idea out on an old Essex slide first.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Resident guru, master smith and the guy who comes up with some amazing mill work projects projects :grin: NED @ Michiguns or http://www.m-guns.com could do this for you is a heart beat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-29 17:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up Dane. Based on some of the stuff on his website, it looks like this will be an easy one for Mr Christiansen.

In reply to Andy's post: this is not a "hard use" tactical gun. It's for competition only. This mounting is not to protect the blade. It is purely cosmetic per my original post. Many competitors use even narrower blades which allow you to see the targets clearly around the blade (check out EGW's race profile sight modification to see what I mean). I have used a gun with a rear sight set slightly forward like this and I liked it.

My point in this post was to find info. on/from someone highly skilled in machining to do this for me (which Mr. Burns has graciously provided). I don't think I'll need to spend any more money on another slide.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You may be interested in the adjustabel that Ned posted pics of that was integrated into the frame. The blade and are were actuaaly built into the frame. It was also moounted forward like the Springfield. I am not crazy about the forward mount position myself but Neds built in design is one of teh nicest adjustabel set ups I have ever seen.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Projects like these are what keeps the classic 1911 interesting and perennially modern. The basic 1911 is a steel canvas upon which the owner can create what he perceives to be its ultimate iteration.

Everyone's dream 1911 is different, but underneath, they're all the same. Go for it 'smiley!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.