Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new USP full size .40 today, price was $589, which I feel was a good price (I looked and researched for 5 months). I had narrowed it down to a a Sig 229 or the HK USP. I was looking for either a .40 or .45 at the time and felt the HK was better after doing my research.

My experience is mainly with Glocks and 1911. I have never shot a HK before and looking forward to. Since I am new to the HK line, what are the fellings and comments on the full size USP. I did hold and looked hard at the USP/C .45 and it was a real nice pistol, but some how I leaned to the USP .40. With the introduction of the USP 2000, does this mean the USP will go away?

One last question: who has the best prices for mail order USP magazines?

Thanks,

77Bronc

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats on your purchase... you have chosen wisely...

The USP's were designed and developed for the US market nased on the USP 40F frame - so you have the benchmark HK for sure!

The only problem you will experience with your HK will be the hurting that your Glock and 1911 will have because they will be ignored!

The USP's aren't going anywhere - HK 2000 or not.. the USP line is waaaay too popular for them to give it up. HK isn't the kind of company to pull a line after 5 or 8 years - heck look at the P7 line! They have been around - virtually unchanged for decades!

BTW - That was a great price you paid for your USP.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Range Report On New USP40 Fullsize

Picked up my new USP 40 fullsize yesterday and had a chance to fire 50 rounds today after work. The pistol shoots well. I was not shooting for accuracy today, only for recoil and feel. This is my first H&K and the feel is hard to describe. I have been shooting Glocks for 10 years along with 1911 style pistols, but the H&K has a feel of its own. The pistol points well and has good balance. Feels heavier than my G22 (my basis for comparision)but I think it has better balance, did I say that? The frame on the USP feels stiffer than the G22, therefore giving it a completely different recoil feel. Before I purchased the pistol I thought I was getting another Glock, but this may sound crazy, but I think I bought a polymer 1911!

I don't think the magazines are built better than the Glocks, they seem less durable to me. Also, I shoot a heavier recoil spring in all of my Glocks, all are at least 3 LB's greater than factory weight. Racking the slide back on my 21 LB Glock 23 takes a little effort, the H&K seems like 10 LB's to me. I will have a chance to shoot more this weekend, I am going to try some Speer Gold Dots for the first time. Along with the $589 purchase price (new) for the pistol, my dealer threw in 100 rounds of Gold Dots. Not bad. Will provide more of an update on Saturday evening, who knows, my feelings may change. I know this is one fine pistol and has a good reputation, in fact the postings here are what swayed me in the H&K direction, but we will see how it stacks up against my Glock(s). Maybe 300 rounds this Saturday will tell the story.

77Bronc

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Range Report Adder:

Shot 150 more rounds today with the new USP 40 fullsize. It is really different from the Glocks. The recoil is slower, seems you can feel the slide recoil, where as with my Glock 22 it is more of a sharp kick.

The 40 is a large pistol, will take some getting use to. As far as accuracy, at 15 yards I managed to out 5 shots in 2", not really trying hard. At seven yards, a quarter could cover three holes.

I have been shooting Glocks for so long, the H&K will take some getting use to. I think I am going to pack my Glocks away for the next three months and concentrate on the USP.

77Bronc

G

·
FWIW,
I have always found the USP trigger too heavy and always replace the main spring with the Wolff 10lbs unit.

I can usually average 1.5 to 2" groups with a USP properly setup in this manner and 1" with my MK23 as I am predominately a Glock, P7, and 1911 shooter and I am accustomed to a much lighter smoother trigger than the stock USP provides.

With the stock 14lbs spring I usually average 3-4" @ 25 with a box stock USP.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David,

Being so use to Glocks and taking them apart so easy, is the H&K hard to work on? Such as changing the firing pin spring and the recoil spring?

What is the best source for H&K parts?

Thanks,

77Bronc

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to the range today and ran another 100 rounds through the USP, tried everything from Cor-Bon, Hydra Shocks, Speer Gold Dots, ball, Silver Tips and and even three rounds of old Black Talon I had laying around from many years ago, no FTF, none, USP digested all ammo, tried rapid fire, slow fire, SA and DA, no problem what so ever.

Strange thing happened though, while inserting fresh magazine on a slide lock change, driving the magazine home, not hard, but reasonable, the slide would release and chamber a round. Will not do this with an empty magazine. While this does not really bother me and if you think about it, it is what you are really trying to do without an extra step. But I want to control this, is this something that is common and I should be worried about it?

77Bronc

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bronc,

I have never had that problem myself so I don't know...

I love my USP :smile: I shot a 1.5 inch group into the 10 ring at 25 yards last week...offhand :grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
The slide stop disengaging on a firmly inserted, fully loaded magazine is normal for full size USP40 and USP9 pistols. You can do it with snap caps, too, but you have to really slam the magazine home. I've yet to see it happen with a USPc, and I can't get my USP45f to do it. It isn't a problem - it's a wonderful feature.

I find it to be very useful when doing speed/emergency reloads - slap the mag home and you're back in action.

See page 23 of your USP owner's manual:

"WARNING: Forcefully inserting a loaded magazine into the USP may cause the pistol's slide to close, chambering a cartridge and making the USP ready to fire. When inserting a magazine, always be certain that the pistol is pointed in a safe direction..."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Morgan & Bronc,

I have a UPS 40C and I have had the slide disengage and slide forward when "forcefully inserting" a new magazine. It was very unexpected and kind of throws off your rhythm, but I have gotten used to it happening now and then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a USP9c, and if you insert a loaded mag with some force, the slide will release and chamber a round. This, from what I have heard, will happen with all (newer?) USP's and USPc's. My friend's Glocks also do it. I happen to love the feature, makes quick reloads a snap. If you don't like it, simply don't slam your mags home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.