Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not a pistol round, but CorBon will be producing factory .458 SOCOM ammo for the Tromix Sledgehammer AR-15 rifles. This baby will hurl 300 grain bullets over 2,000 feet per second and 500 grainers at 1,400 fps. It gives your AR-15 the balistic equivalent of a 45/70. We will have TC Encore barrels available for this shorty as well.

You can see the guns on the Tromix website at http://www.tromix.com

Edited to add the pic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony Rumore on 2001-06-29 12:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony Rumore on 2001-06-29 12:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today was the first day I stumbled on this site. It looks like a great handgun site. I typically only manufacture rifles but I do own a pile of handguns as well.

CorBon should be getting the .458 SOCOM Basic brass tomorrow. I just sent it to them on Monday along with a die set to get started. I will be supplying CorBon with the brass, but hopefully we will have enough demand that CorBon will buy a large batch directly from Starline and get me out of the middle of the ammo deal. We will be introducing TC Encore barrels chambered in .458 SOCOM within the next 30 days as well.

·
Registered
988 Posts
This is a good site, Tony. More than one Bowers regular here :smile:

If you had to own one of your uppers, in either .458 or 50AE, for anything you would do with it, which one would it be? Why?

I will be calling you on the encore barrels soon. Our brilliant legislature won't let us legally kill deer with rifles, but of course the TC is fine. .458 should kill a puny little whitetail very well :grin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The .458 SOCOM is much better in the AR-15 than the 50AE. We had the .458 case made 1.6" long, instead of the shorter 1.3" of the 50AE. This allows the case head and body to be "controlled" longer by the feed lips of the magazine so the bullet is well into the chamber before the magazine lets go of the case. We also further rebated the rim down to .473" so the bolt is left much stronger on the .458 than on the 50AE. Not to mention, just necking down the case also improves feeding reliability and there is no need to cut back the lower lugs on the barrel extention to get it to feed. This results in a much stronger bolt set-up in the .458 than the 50AE.

There is an enormous selection of .458 bullets available ranging from the 250gr Hawk HP, all the way up to the 600gr Barnes solid. The cartridge was designed around the 300gr Barnes X bullet however. We have also found that this case, being fairly short and fat, does not benifit from overly long barrels. There is only a 100fps difference between a 16" and a 24" barrel chambered in .458 SOCOM. My personal favorite is to crop the barrel back to 14" and install a 2" muzzle brake for Title I guns. For the third class guys, I like the 10" setup.

The .458 SOCOM is also much easier to get to cycle with the AR gas system, than the 50AE. I was surprised to find that I am able to get the guns to run with both full power and subsonic ammuntion, all with the same gas setting. No need to add a gas gizmo like the SSK Whispy round.

I recently built up an AK-47 on a milled receiver which is also chambered in .458 SOCOM and that thing is a blast to shoot as well. I would like to pull the forward mounted rear sight and replace it with a rear mounted sight, like a Valmet 76 set-up. That short AK sight radius doesn't help the acccuracy much.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-28 15:07, Tony Rumore wrote:
CorBon should be getting the .458 SOCOM Basic brass tomorrow. I just sent it to them on Monday along with a die set to get started. I will be supplying CorBon with the brass, but hopefully we will have enough demand that CorBon will buy a large batch directly from Starline and get me out of the middle of the ammo deal. We will be introducing TC Encore barrels chambered in .458 SOCOM within the next 30 days as well.
Any idea what the price will be? Wonder how hard it would be to become a Cordon dealer :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.