Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...say you wake up in the middle of the night and hear a crash...and you want to go downstairs to check on the kids...well...I sleep in shorts...I can't tuck my 1911 in my shorts...or they will end up on the floor...Would it be a good idea to have some kind of outside gunbelt with a holster?...something you could just throw on...I apologize in advance if this seems to be a silly question.

Greg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bronco on 2001-07-20 06:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check out the 2:30 a.m. doorbell thread in this forum. It was suggested to keep a gunbelt w/ holster, spare mags, cell phone, and, flashlight by your bed.

No question is stupid, although I asked a few that have come damn close :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JM on 2001-07-20 06:49 ]</font>

G

·
At the risk of exposing my plan for every occurence and replan, then replan again mentality, my gear consists of the following:

Blackhawk Nylon duty belt w/plastic "quiet" buckle, Safariland tactical holster w/light mounted with a pair of right and left hand STI frame High Cap 9x23 or 10mm pistols fully loaded with Winchesters "super seceret" 127gr Ranger T (9x23) or Winchester Silvertips (10mm) in 170mm mags.

With four spare mags on the belt, two surefire lights, 7" Walter Brend bowie, my cell phone and the "dreaded" restraints.

The belt system is fully attached to my custom Second Chance Monarch Tactical Jacket with LASH system and in less than two seconds I am fully outfitted.

Before you ask, I did not purchase this sytem for at home "fun and games" I purchased it for contract work and used it for hostage rescue cases for former clients.

I already owned it, so I kept it around "just in case". I prefer to use two guns because I am naturally an ambi and was forced to write with my right hand in private school and have always thrown with my left hand.

Using two guns also allows me the ability to transition corners more effectively.
When it comes to shooting it is a toss up as I am equally bad with either hand.... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-22 11:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have an answer to this question. I don't know if mine is the best answer, but it is my answer. I have kids at home, so leaving anything out and accessable is not possible for me. My wife got me a little cyber keypad safe that will hold about 2 pistols. It was actually advertised as a fireproof document safe. I think it cost 75 dollars about 5 years ago. I keep it right by the bed on the shelf under the night stand. I keep a my my TRS loaded in there and a surefire 6Z. I have an extra mag in there but I don't carry it down with me. I do have an extra mag stashed out of sight down stairs in a place that is easy to get to but out of view. I sleep in boxers and a t-shirt. If I was naked and heard something and thought I had the extra 10 seconds I would quietly dress in something. I think there is a very real effect about being naked that makes people feel helpless that I don't want to have to deal with. Also, if the police show up 3 minutes later I don't want them to start their profile of me as being the buck naked guy pointing a gun at another guy.

I think a shotgun with a dedicated light and a side saddle is the best answer for noises at night, but for me that doesn't work anymore due to the kids. The best answer I heard was about this was one from a SEAL I knew at a few years back. He had done some counter-terrorism work and had concerns about his family. He went to home depot and bought some motion sensors and put them in all the rooms except his bedroom (which had a master bathroom in it). Upon retiring for the evening he turned them all on. Under his bed he kept soft body armor and a glock 21 and a flashlight. His drill was that if he heard one go off he would put that soft armor over his head and clear the house with the gun and light. He got to were the noise automatically made him do this. For him this worked because he had no pets and no children to find the gun. For me it doesn't work though.

People have really good answers for this, mine is not as tactically sound. If I hear something that may just be my cat wanting to go outside then I grab the gun and light and carefully go down to check it out. If I hear something like breaking glass or voices my plan is different. I will call 911 on a cell phone and have my wife stay on the line. I get the gun and the flashlight and guard the stairway (all sleep on the second floor) and barricade there. I yell down that the cops are coming and that if anyone is there please take whatever you can carry quickly and leave. I don't want to shoot someone for something that I own. The legal costs alone of a totally justifiable shooting fair outweigh anything the person/s can carry with them out the door. However, if they come up the stairs I have to assume that they are looking to hurt me and are not reasonable or rational. That poses a clear danger to my family and I would respond with whatever force will keep them from being able to hurt my family.

This is a good question. I for one don't think we can think about this stuff too much. I'm hoping someone else will post all the stuff that is wrong with my approach so I can improve on it. I have no ego wrapped up in this, my goal is protection of my family.

Good shooting. Jake

·
Registered
67 Posts
First, this is the way I handle the problem, and this is not a 'one size fits all' solution.

Dog is sent to investigate. If dog barks, we may have an intruder. If dog comes back and does not bark, no problem. I don't clear houses--because. If it were necessary, vest on, pants on, Wolf Ears on, etc.

Normal action if I knew or thought I had a goblin in the house, is people up stairs to safe room, me and long gun to top of stairs, wife on cell phone to police, keys to house ready to be dropped out of the window.

As long as I own the stairway, the goblin is going to stay down or be put down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in a small 1 bedroom Apt., alone with a very alert Boston Bull Terrier who sleeps on the end of my twin sized bed. When retiring, we go in the bedroom and shut the [sliding pocket] bedroom door, leaving a gap of about 3" open. An intruder in the living area, either has to kick the solid(no windows) steel door or come in through a window in the living room. I have enough furniture in front of the windows (blinds always closed) that if he enters there, he will either fall and break his neck (hopefully) or mke enough noise to wake the dead.

If he enters one of my 2 side by side bedroom windows he will land on my little watchman who will alert me in advance and I will greet the intruder with my G36. There is enough ambient light in my apt. so complete darkness is not a problem plus I have the added convenience of Night Sights on my G36........ Well, that is my plan. Hope I never have to use it........Any suggestions for me? My ears are open...

·
Registered
32 Posts
David,

I use Fed. Hydrashock 165gr. Personal Defense ammo. I know that you will sneer at this next one. Until I got my G36 recently, I kept a Baretta Tomcat 32acp w/Winchester Silver tips concealed next to the bed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Winchesters "super seceret" 125gr Ranger T (9x23)
super secret? Elaborate please :wink:

G

·
Exactly what it says,
Check your email.
Oh, and that should be 127gr, they also made a 147gr as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-22 11:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David your killing me...Inquiring minds want to know...

do I get an email now. :wink:

Thanks for all the replys guys...It has given me a lot to think about.

Greg

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you can't deal with your in house problems with a 357 mag and up caliber pistol or a pump action shotgun, that is probably a SWAT team in your living room.

Are we expecting the Golden Horde to attack us? It's not like we are in our yacht in the South China Sea with pirates ready to repel boarders. Don't get me wrong, I like to be ready and have a 1911 and flashlight beside the bed and an 870 in the closet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
nighttime carry question?

I dont think it is a stupid question.It seems only natural to not carry your gun in a holster.What if a perpetrator is behind a corner,in darkness,etc.You need to get some training in home defense,clearing, and low light shooting and manueverability.I would above all advise to stay in a secure spot if possiblew/ a phone and your weapon (prefereably with night sights).If you have children if other parts of the house then you have to make a decision.I wouldnt care about the perpetrator seeing in your birthday suit, you have alot more to worry about. Just keep your mind clear and handle the situation the best you can. It is good you have thought about crises, you are more prepared than some i've meet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.