Pistol Smith Forum banner

No-dovetail Novak rear

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Ned Christiansen 
#1 ·
Thought you guys might like this. Quite a bit of work, but very solid and sanitary. Rectangular lug and 3/16 dia. stud locate it solidly, 4-40 set screw hidden under the FP stop acts as a pin and not a set screw, by passing through the 3/16 stud. 4-40 flathead passing through original set screw hole helps too but mainly plugs the old set screw hole. Sight is narrowed-up just a tad.

[

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ned Christiansen on 2001-10-23 20:36 ]</font>

See less See more
#5 ·
Actually I wanted to do it with a Heinie, but had this extra Novak around, and since it's for me, and I'm just a poor gunsmith, I had to take what was there! I share y'all's preference for the Heinie, but I'm pretty sure it's only because it's newer... actually I feel the Novak and the Heinie are exactly equal in terms of practicality, durability, quality, and useability. I do just kinda like the Heinie look better.... at this time. Tried to talk a certain forumite who, ahem, shall we say has posted very recently, to let me do his Commander this way with a Wilson, unfortunately he declined... I KNEW I shoulda just done it and THEN asked :smile:! I really like the look of the new Wilson sights, too.

#7 ·
Damn you do nice work!!!

Geez...everytime I turn around...one o' you guys has come up with a brand new technique or "teaser" of some sort!

The Hell of it is they all make sense and serve a purpose or fill a real need!

Hats Off to ALL A' YA!!!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
Voce, this was a Colt Officer's ACP slide new from Brownell's. It's a Series 80, Enhanced, meaning there's a rib on top and the EJ port is flared. The rib and top profile are not centered and consistant-- which would hardly be noticeable if I hadn't done the sight this way. Now I need to go and true them up.

gyp_c2, I'm going to break the code of silence... we are part of a secret society whose purpose is, indeed, to make you guys drool and go looking in your wallet!

#10 ·
On 2001-10-24 12:10, abnranger wrote:
Not trying to rain on parades here; but why not try the new McCormick/Nowlin sight? Insert fits into the standard DT, sight mounts on slide via a set screw, looks like a Novak, minus the slide cut.
For myself, because the gun in question is an enhanced, with the flat top :smile: Course, I've got 2 other projects ahead of that one, but oh well...

#11 ·
On 2001-10-24 10:21, Ned Christiansen wrote:
Voce, this was a Colt Officer's ACP slide new from Brownell's. It's a Series 80, Enhanced, meaning there's a rib on top and the EJ port is flared. The rib and top profile are not centered and consistant-- which would hardly be noticeable if I hadn't done the sight this way. Now I need to go and true them up.
Well, if you have that long path that needs modifying, why not write some more Klingon along the top? to uh...break up the light or something :smile:

Is the sight the same elevation as it would be with a standard dovetail mounting?

Are you gonna do something wierd with teh front sight too? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VoceNoctum on 2001-10-24 12:33 ]</font>

#12 ·
On 2001-10-24 12:10, abnranger wrote:
Not trying to rain on parades here; but why not try the new McCormick/Nowlin sight?
Good thought, other than I would prefer my sight be held in with something larger than the tiny screw that wedges the sight against the insert. But the looks are similar as you imply. The strength and durability isn't even close between the two mounting techniques. But then again...neither is price :grin:

#13 ·
When I first saw that new CMC sight at the SHOT show, I did a classic "Why didn't I think if that?" I think it's a great idea, but as Dane mentioned, it just isn't as crash-proof. Other'n that, I mean if you're not going to be nailing up too many wanted posters with your rear sight, it looks like a reasonably priced, decent product.

Voce, this installation has the rear sight at the same height it would be if done the normal way. Especially because it's an Officer's, I didn't want to go any lower for fear of having to use a front that was so short it wouldn't give a good sight pic.

#15 ·
I run into this problem just about every time I'm doing something extra up there on the slide's top radius. A lot of times you'll see a rear sight that appears to be off center in the dovetail cut, when it is actually centered on the slide; it's because the top radius is off center or not a true profile. In a lot of cases I can make it look right with some filing and stoning, other times I might be machining a rib in which hides it or trues it up.

Voce, the front sight on this one will be activated by a little crank on the side of the slide, so I can put it inside when the weather gets bad. Or maybe I'll just silver solder it on :smile:!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ned Christiansen on 2001-10-24 22:26 ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.