Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What experiences/opinions does anyone have regarding some of the more recent cartridge developments, such as the .45 Super, .400 Corbon, and Triton's .40 Super? As is most often the case, the majority of information available is that which is offered by the creator/seller of the item in question.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SNAPCUT on 2001-10-17 21:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
295 Posts
.40 Super is an impressive cartridge.
It feeds well in my guns using Wilson 8rd magazines.

Point of impact at closer ranges is not much different than 230 hardball in a "convertible" .45 ACP/.40 Super that I own-for example, the 200 grain .40 Super loads are about 2" lower at 25 yards.

Recoil is easily controllable-especially the 135 gr Triton loads at 1800+.

The gun shoots flat to over 100 yards, and shooting a steel plate at that distance, offhand, is downright easy.

Ammunition is expensive, although RSR has lots in stock.

There doesnt seem to be as much crimp on the Triton rounds as I like, either, but as long as you use good mags, it should feed fine.

Another thing I have noticed is a bit of nickel coming off the necks of the Triton brass after firing. Poor QC from the plating vendor I would imagine.

The .40 Suoer has replaced 10MM for me. It is substantially more powerful, and a barrel and heavier spring is the only thing required to convert a standard .45 ACP.

Its the closest thing to a 1911 chambered in .41 magnum. I am planning on shooting a deer with the 200 grain loading this year, luck willing.

I am also awaiting Triton's release of the .45 SMC, an "Improved" .45 Super.
These (And the .40 Super's) work well in most 1911's that have been "enhanced", that is lowered port, long ejector, etc. All you need is a 28 lb recoil spring and HD firing pin spring to participate. Good, heavy round, with stouter recoil than the .40 Super in my experience.

.45 Super Ammo made by Texas Ammo. Co is very well made and comes in a variety of loadings as well as a "Tactical load" that is reduced power. Most loading use XTP bullets.

Anyone who pays the big bucks to have "Ace" Custom .45 "Convert" their pistol to .45 Super is wasting money, IMHO, the above mods will do just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.