Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to firearms, my experience limited to hunting with my muzzleloader. I'm also new to the area I'm now living in, and am still in the process of finding a local gunsmith/store.

I just purchased a Sig P220 .45 ACP, my first handgun. It is 8 years old, but appears to be well cared-for. However, I'd like to have a gunsmith examine it and give his expert opinion. What are some of the things to look for in determining whether my Sig is in good working order? I realize this is a pretty basic question, but I really am coming to gun ownership late in the game. Thanks for any and all replies!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well at eight years old it should be just about broken in.

There isn't much to check out on a 220. You might want to replace the springs, but initailly I'd just take that sucker to the range and enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am with Jim R.
There is not much chance a second hand name brand pistol will require anything but a little oil and a lot of ammunition.

I am NRA Mechanically Inept, but I still think the internet and gunzine recommendations to find a gunsmith or send a gun back to the factory at the drop of a hat are overdone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts