Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

What do you all think of a Nowlin as compared to a Les Baer?

My dad asked me a similiar question about the semi custom folks and I didn't have a good answer, so I'm coming here.

He said he was looking for something that offered better quality then the factory guns (I had suggested a Kimber CDP or the Springfield TRP--cheaper version of the FBI) and features similiar to the CDP/TRP.

Dad then asked me about the Nowlin pistols and the Les Baers, and which I thought would be a better pistol.

I know that Baers are a solid pistol, but I have no expierence with Nowlin.

Thanks in advance!

Derek

G

·
I like the Nowlin barrel in my TRP PRO model and I do own a Nowlin custom but for my money Les Baer makes a really good pistol and I continue to buy them reguarly.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Les Baer makes the best semi-custom pistols on the market, period.

Not that anyone else's pistols are bad or of poor quality, quite the opposite.
In fact Wilson and Springfield Custom make very good guns, but Les just makes a better overall package.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Derek...this is not responsive to your question, really, but for the money I don't think there is a better pistol than what you can have with an entry level Kimber or Springfield, worked on by the 'smiths that visit this forum.

I have not owned a Nowlin. I have owned Baers, and while satisfactory, no way would my Kimber by Burns be traded for anything Baer makes.

For the money, Jardine's Valtro is also very hard to beat, as is Kreb's 1911.

G

·
I own a 5" Nowlin Match Classic and while I do like it a great deal it is definitely superior to anything that Kimber or Springfield have put out and it is priced at the same level as the standard TRP.

However, it is not really at the same level of overall feel and quality as a Baer Super Tac or a Wilson CQB.

I will say that it is very accurate and I believe the 1" guarantee is correct, it is hard to describe but the differences are subtle to the eye but the Wilson and Baer feel better when you hold and shoot them.

Also in all fairness the the Nowlin was $850.00 less than Super Tac and $640.00 less than the CQB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.