Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to get a maker of magazines to retool to make a run of 9x23 magazines in a length that would fit an officer's/compact frame? Does anyone know? The topic has been brought up about a 9x23 compact being the perfect carry gun except for magazine availability...so let's get off our asses and see what we can do about it if we think it's such a good idea.

G

·
I bought a run of Colt .38Super 8rd mags for my Colt .38 Super Officers model series 80 special edition gun about 6 years ago and they work fine in 9x23, I belive they were made by Meg Gar or maybe Metal Form and NO, I am not selling the gun or the mags as I have never seen one for sale again.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Does anyone make a die that we can reform the lips? I'm in the process of building an officer framed commander in 9x23. I'm waiting for the parts order from brownells. Slide and frame are all fit I just need the pins,springs and things, and those 38 super officer mags. I was going to cut a few wilsons and weld them but if metalform or someone makes them I'd rather buy them.

What about a AMT back-up mag, will that fit an Officer frame?

I just E-mailed Metalform and asked what it would take to produce a run of these mags. I'll post with the reply.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jm10mm on 2001-07-06 20:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
500 Posts
Problem solved. I took a Colt 38 super mag and cut it down and rewelded it. It took about 30 min. not counting the baking of the teflon-moly. The mag holds 8-9x23's and functions fine. I guess I'll go find a few more super mags so I'll have back ups.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Oooo...aaaaaa...You... ARE THE MAN!!!

Way to go...Looks great too...Yoww...you are gonna' get some mail over those bad boys...:wink:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Below is the response I recieved from Metal form today on the Officer sized 38 super9x23 mags.
Dear Joe,
Thank you for your inquiry. First off, I don't think the AMT will work. We have made some Officer's model in both 38 and 9mm. These have been special runs and they weren't cheap but we will be making some additional quantities by late August or early September. If you place your order soon, we can plan and be sure to make enough. The pricing would probably be a few dollars higher than the standard. I could let you know after you tell us how many you would need.

I'm sure if we can get together and order what we need they will produce these mags. I'm going to order a dozen.

·
Registered
500 Posts
This is the response from Metalform I recieved today.

"I expect the price to come in at about $13.00 ea for a quantity of 10 - 49 for 9mm. The 38 Super should be about $12.50 ea. for the same quantity"

I'll keep an eye on this and post the production run.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just got off the phone with metalform...and several emails. They are not quite set up to take orders yet from the woman I talked too, as she said she did not have the price to work with. I have a call in to Derek Dibble who answered my initial query and hopefully have an answer next week. But from his answer, they will make the mags in both 9mm and 38 super.
Is anyone getting a different answer or able to order?

OK just to update, I just got a call from Jenny at metalform and she took my name and the number I wanted..and said she would call when ready..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eerw on 2001-07-12 15:49 ]</font>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.