Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into my next project and was considering modifying a carry gun. Any of you "daily carriers" prefer an steel Officer's size or LW Commander size pistol?

Does the Officer's short slide cause much reliability problems? I don't have a lot of Officer's shooting experience but have heard it can be a problem.

If I put money into a custom carry gun, I want it to be in the best platform. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well an officers frame mated to a commander slide is what I use. The frame is short eonugh to give very acceptable concealment. The slide length isn't overly long, and helps to keep the grip frame tucked in. It holds 7 + 1. I still prefer a steel frame.

Would make a really great project, and its about the neatest concealment package still maintaining the 4.25" bbl length for bullet performance. Recoil control is also quite easy.

Well that's my opiniom anyway, I'm sure others will disagree. LOL

And yea, I do carry this setup every day. In an IWB, and only a thin black leather vest over it, I have never been made yet. It just doesn't print well and the black helps also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-06-28 00:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-06-28 00:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-28 00:36, Peter Zahn wrote:
Well an officers frame mated to a commander slide is what I use. The frame is short eonugh to give very acceptable concealment. The slide length isn't overly long, and helps to keep the grip frame tucked in. It holds 7 + 1. I still prefer a steel frame.

Would make a really great project, and its about the neatest concealment package still maintaining the 4.25" bbl length for bullet performance. Recoil control is also quite easy.

Well that's my opiniom anyway, I'm sure others will disagree. LOL
I have carried, and preferred the LWT Commander for many, many years. Even so, I would agree with Peter, that 'CCO' config is probably the best of all worlds IMHO...

I certainly enjoy the longer sight radius, and better ballistics that a longer barrel offers, and hiding the barrel with a good IWB rig is easy, even with a full size, my main reason for the ~4" variety is weight savings.

Having the Short grip seems like the right way for a compact CCW package though, and I don't feel bad about dropping a round in capacity and would carry full length back-ups anyway.

Now... If ONLY... Wilson would make 'Officers' length 38 Super mags, I would have the perfect solution... A 9x23 Compact :grin:

·
Registered
988 Posts
The LW Commander is one of my favorite pistols. Sold mine several years ago, kick myself daily for that. Always on the lookout for another one.

The Officer's frame doesn't appeal to me much...except it is very easy to conceal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've always liked a LW Commander for carry as well. Recently p/u an XS LT WT Commander in new condition. Just trying to decide what changes to make and by whom.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have and use the Colt Defender. Very reliable guns in general, light weight, but recoil isn't bad at all. Much better than an officers IMO. I'd also carry a LW Commander, but just don't like the officers bushing setup enough to invest in one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've not had an officers myself, but I've had a few people that had the bushing/ bushing plug break.

I still dislike disassembly on the models, regardless of reliability. Usually I take them apart by just popping out the slide lock and containing the springs before they fly out :smile:

·
Registered
934 Posts
The Officer's will probably conceal a bit easier. However, I really don't like that shortened frame. Can't seem to get comfortable with it. I'll stick to Commanders myself. Just don't like that smaller frame.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Dont confuse the officers frame under a commander slide, with the Colt Officers model.

I call it the commanding officer, and its basically a commander with a shorter frame. Reliability should rival the Commander.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and say officers model with the short slide and all. But I want to explain that choice. I think that if you are going to have the full size frame having a 4" tube instead of a government size is not that great of a compact gun. The barrel is not the hard part to hide. I say government or officers, but forget the commander length all together. I, too, believe that the officers frame with the commander slide is a great way to go. I think the kimber compact and the SA compact have both gone this route. Two things to consider in my view: 1. Ammo -I carry ball ammo, so I don't have to worry so much about reaching a magic velocity threshold for my ammo to work. If you do carry trick ammo then you need to figure out what will work in the gun and expand the way its supposed to, maybe drop to a 185 or even a 165 gr load. 2. Reliability - are you just going to buy a factory gun and stuff it in a holster or are you going to build it up for a specific load with specific parts and fix what's not working properly. I, personally, have no doubt that an officers size gun can work really well, but the pain in the neck goes up exponentially with every inch that comes off that 5" barrel. There are new bushings that you can put on that will solve that weakness. With all that said, I am not a gunsmith but just a regular joe. I don't currently own an officers model and I carry a government model. Baer TRS to be specific, but, I would be very proud indeed to own and trust my life to an officers model that had all the bugs worked out. Please let us know what size you decide to go with. I hope it works out for you. Jake

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Para P12, which is essentially a hi-capacity copy of the Colt Officers Model.

I've read stories about failure of the stamped recoil spring cap, due to crystallization of the metal, after some thousands of firings. This failure sends the recoil spring downrange, making the gun inoperative.

I had a gunsmith replace the recoil spring assembly with an Ed Brown conversion unit, and set the trigger pull to 4 pounds.

The resulting modified P12 is my current carry gun. It's a good combination of capacity, concealability and weight.

Reliability is outstanding with all factory and handloads EXCEPT SWC bullet shapes.

The staggered magazine of the P12 does result in a fatter grip than the standard 1911 grip, but it conceals well.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On 2001-06-28 10:23, jaydee wrote:
[quote:1rh5llcc]
Now... If ONLY... Wilson would make 'Officers' length 38 Super mags, I would have the perfect solution... A 9x23 Compact :grin:
[/quote:1rh5llcc]

...Yeah...there's the drag. About 3 months ago I spoke with Dane about exactly that...
All he said was..."no magazines"

·
Registered
141 Posts
Has anyone tried a "chopped" (officer's length) grip on a full-size (5") top end?

As others have mentioned, I don't see any problem concealing the barrel, but my small-framed body just doesn't seem to cover the butt of a Gov't grip too well, unless I walk around like I'm in a back brace. God forbid I drop my keys!

Would creating such a hybrid involve more than chopping the grip and replacing stocks and MSH (and maybe the hammer strut?) with Officer's-size pieces?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the previous page, Jake brought up ANOTHER sub-question:

With the availability of LW full-size 1911's now, like Dane's LW and Super LW packages, is there an advantage to Commander length guns when most are probably carried IWB? Does the full 5" length push up when you sit down? Any real world input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hoser, in response to the sub-question, I have carried a kimber stainless pro-carry in a galco NSA holster with 9 rounds of 230 grain ammo in it and I forgot it was there. It didn't bother me driving or sitting. Of course, it wouldn't be much use to me in that position, but my statement is about comfort here and not accessability. If I was serious about car defense I would have a car holster for use specifically for those times I was in the car. But here is my point, I now carry a baer TRS full size steel frame govt model with 8 rounds of 230 grain ammo and all the same still applies. The barrel doesn't pinch or dig in and it is comfortable. I think the comfort factor has 10 times more to do with the quality of the holster than it does with the size and weight of the gun. Granted, a smaller gun will conceal more easily; but that is a function of butt size more than barrel length. That is why for me the commander length doesn't make a lot of sense, at least not a commander length slide with a full size butt. With that said, the effectiveness of the weapon, in my opinion is a factor of the ability of the user much more than the type of gun used. For me it just comes down to the fact that I can shoot a steel frame full sized gun better than I can shoot a shorter gun. I still want a quality officers model though, but I'm not going to get one until I can afford to get one with the particular problems of that size all worked out, and that is going to cost some money. Until that time comes I will be content to just stick with my government model and spend my money on practice. I am curious to hear other comments about this though. Doubtless many will disagree with my logic here. I will read those posts and who knows? Maybe in a few days I'll think differently about this. Fellas, bring it on!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Jake, appreciate your point of view. Most of my 1911's are full size and I practice most with them. I bought the Colt LW Commander back when full size govt LW pistols were not around (at least I was not aware of them). Haven't gotten around to putting the money into customizing it yet.

Totally agree and understand the "butt" issue and I'm glad you brought it up because it made me think about this sub-question. If all things are equal, which I'm sure we'll hear more opinions on, I may consider putting money into a LW full size gun instead of the commander.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.