Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice digital camera, (Nikon 990) my pics still look like crap.

Can you provide any tips or pointers Dane?

Somehow it seems unfair to be gifted not only mechanically but also artistically...

Damn!

good thing my wife at least finds me cute... :smile:

Regards,
Francis

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Francis, that is a very nice thing to say, thank you for being so kind.

Shots like this take three things, a tripod, natural light and good focus. (never show something that isn't as close to perfect as you can make it)

I have a buddy who does photography for a living, is damn good at it and laughs at my feeble attempts :smile:

The editing is easy now with digital, as is the number of photos I have to take to get something worth showing in public.

Glad you like the photos. Same camera, hand held..... natural light again. (sunrise)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dane,
Quit holding out on us! :razz:
What brand and model camera do you use?
They really are good pics.

Regards,
Howard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: benzh on 2001-09-08 09:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Wow, that last photo is really neat looking. Its interesting how the reflection in the foreground is sharper than the actual mountain in the background. I guess it depends upon how you set your depth of field eh? :grin:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Maybe Dane could just "strongly suggest" what type of equipment someon like myself might use to take close-up photos of guns and small items to post on the forum?
Could anyone else suggest some equipment to use? I've recently received two guns that I would love to show off here, but have not been able to take a decent photo to post. I want to buy a good digital camera to use. Any help?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Using real sunlight can make a big improvement in how the picture comes out even with a crap 1 megapixel camera like mine. :eek:

G

·
My digital camera was "liberated" recently while on a business trip and I need to replace it, what models do you guys suggest?

Are the "high" end models worth the price or should I be looking in the sub $1,000 range?

Also, if anyone has any good website links for digital photo tips and info I would appreciate it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-10-27 06:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
555 Posts
OK certainly not an expert.

I have two Nikon D1s (work) and they give good quality in most conditions. Friends tell me the D1H/X series are fantastic and address most of the D1s shortcomings (lowlight) and framing speed and buffer size. The new Canon EOS1d is reporting to be very nice too. However short of the hi-megapixel studios cameras these fall into the 4K+ range.

The Nikon consumer line ( most of my exerience ) Coolpix 990, 950 and 800 seem to work very well and accomplish most things. Others said it very well. The newer models look really cool like the coolpix 995 and Coolpix 5000.

Light is everything and when shooting metal and especially refective surfaces you will need a lot of light coming from a board source to create a broad reflection vs. a point source which the metal will reflect. My suggestions would be to look at cameras that use compact flash cards, shoot at the highest quality and ISO equivalent you can. Then knock the image down in photoshop or other imaging software for webuse. This will help you maintain sharpness and tone for viewing quality and let you keep a HiRes for printing.
If I were looking for one, I think I would look at the Coolpix 5000. It seems to begin to bridge the gap between the full size pro models and the consumer models. Hopefull we will be upgrading to D1H/X next years. Fingers crossed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eerw on 2001-10-27 11:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have a kodak dc200, about 2 years old. you can get a better/similar for about $150.
if you have the ability to ajust your object/conditions it takes pretty good pics.
like it was said here, lighting is the BIGGEST part !!! too much direct light or dark and the pic goes bad. i find that outside on a cloudy day is the best/easiest for taking good gun pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.