Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for other LEOs: How does your department dispose of old ammo that citizens
turn in? I'm sitting here looking at a few boxes of .32 Short from the '30's, some paper 12 guage and 20 guage rounds, and a few boxes of military (WWII?) 30-06. Any
suggestions for safe disposal would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am not an LEO, but in our town when I was growing up we took stuff like that to the fire department. Once a year they drove it out to the desert and blew it in place. I think they did old ammo and chemicals that were safe to detonate without toxic by-products. Good luck. Jake

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not leo either, but at our range there is a five gallon bucket with a lid and a hole in the top big enought for 10 gage cartridges. Fill with water & shooters put there troublesome unfired ammo in it. It could be .22's with no priming compound to bad primers, et. Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm my agency's firearms instructor and am charged with disposing of all "bad" ammo. I hold it until our county has its annual "hazardous waste disposal day". They bring in EPA approved contractors to dispose of the residents' old paint cans, used motor oil, etc. They take all of the bullets without a fee or any other hassles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I get a lot of ammunition from mostly old ladies whos husbands have died and they're cleaning out closets or basements and run across boxes of ammo. They load it up and bring it to the Police Dept and it ends up on my desk. We use the good stuff for training, if it's not reloads and the junk we throw into a dumpster behind the PD, where it's taken to a land fill and buried.

7th

·
Registered
19 Posts
I spoke to an ammmo rep about this problem, he suggested, the only approved way to dispose of it was to send it to a waste incinerator.

One thought was to take it to a local steel mill and throw it into the molten steel, but the steel company wants no part of that.

I still have piles in my arsenal

·
Registered
226 Posts
I work for the Sheriff's office. They give the old turned in and siezed ammo to me. I pull the bullets from the centerfire stuff and reuse or melt down the projectiles, use the powder for blowing stumps and put the brass in our bin to go to the reloader. The local PD saves it and have their EOD guys blow it up at the gravel pit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.