Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We,ve talked about this before, but now I am developing a serious interest in what I call historical customs. What I want to know is how were 1911 tricked out in the days before beavertails, and extended safeties and slide stops.
How were barrels refit and what did the old masters use for sights, were the slides lapped in etc?
Any photos would also be appreciated.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
401 Posts
Im interested in doing the "old school" thing as well. Just picked up a couple unused "Swensights" and swenson thumb safety, and a Hoag fixed rear.

Also found an old Heinie set that came with a stake in front, all milled bar stock 0-1.

Any how, i would be interested in seeing anyones "retro" projects as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Before beavertails, the factory grip safeties were cut on top to accept the Comander hammer contour..Then came the colt drop in beavertails{actually after some of the early ones like the hoag]; the Colts looked like hell but did distribute recoil.

Swenson used a "barrel positioning stud" to facilitate consistent lock up.. This was welded on the inside the slide on the upper left, opposite the ejection port. The barrel, when in battery, pressed against it. Don"t know how long he used this technique, but
I"ve seen it on several guns.

Safeties were welded up and slidestops the same{but WHO would want an extended anyway??????}

S&W sights were used by Swenson and Bud Price , as well as others..Kings sights were alsopopular as were hoags, these were blocky and very functional but not nearly as asthetic as the S&W treatment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.