Pistol Smith Forum banner

Omega vs. Breitling

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ltdave 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have been lurking on this site for a while now, but have not posted very often. I would like some advise from people that have a lot more knowledge of watches than me. I have one nice timepiece, A Tag Heuer s/el chrono. I purchased the watch when I found out they were discontinuing it for the Link. I did't know anything about the watch except I loved the way it looked, and have enjoyed it everyday. I see that most people on this site are Rolex Aficionado. I personally only like one or two rolexs which are way, way, way out of my price range. I know several people that have them and none of them are super accurate but they would never trade or sell them for anything. I am looking for a good quality watch, and have narrowed it down to two. I am basing this on the two that I like the look of. The first is a Omega 120 M Chronometer, and the second is a Breitling Colt Automatic. They are both close in price, and think both are about the same quality. Is there any significant details that I should be aware of, does one have a better movement, better materials, keep better time, or overall quality in workmanship. Thanks in advance. Keep in mind i'm a newbie and please don't slam me to hard :D

Does anyone have any comments about the Breitling Wings Automatic. Is it overpriced, I know that it has a different movement, and is not classified a chronograph. Is the movement better, I have only found one small thread on timezome, and would like to here your thoughts.

Finally has anyone had a problem buying a grey market watch. It seems like you can save a lot of money buying a watch from a dealer that is not factory authorized. If you are paying over a thousand dollars for a watch, the quality of the timepiece should not need repair for a year, so does having the warranty justify the extra expense. Is there some thing wrong with these watches, are they seconds, did they not meet factory quality standers. Thanks again.

See less See more
#2 ·
It really is subjective. I'm more of an Omega fan, but both these watches are dependable and well made. You should go to a store that carries both and try them on. That's really the best way to tell which one you like more.

Price wise, the Breitling usually sells for $100-200 more and priced closer to an Omega Seamaster Pro. Also, the Breitling has a rotating bezel and is has a WR rating to 500m vs. 120 for the Omega. The Breitling shouts sports watch, the Omega 120 more like a dress watch.

If you decide to go grey market, make sure the reputation of the seller is strong. Also make sure that serial numbers are intact. In some areas watches without serials are illegal. You might want to read this little blurb about buying from grey market sources:

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/graymarket.shtml

Personally, I'd rather buy from an authorized dealer and if you ask around timezone, generally you can get a source from an authorized dealer who can give you a discount very close to most of the grey dealers. Keep in mind also, that if you buy from an authorized dealer outside your state, you can avoid sales tax.

G
#3 ·
Sherman wrote:

Brietling is not exactly my cup of tea. They do make their own movements though. Pretty cool watch, just not one of my personal favorites.

I'd buy an Omega before a Brietling. I find the Breitlings to be very busy in general, and would prefer the less cluttered dial of a ETA movement Seamaster, GMT, or even a current moonwatch. Id take a vintage cal. 321 Omega moonwatch over anything in the current Breitling line.

Just personal preferance from a dedicated Rolex sport watch snob

Good luck. Wear it in good health.
My thoughts exactly. I think the Breitlings are a little busy looking and lack the classic lines that are so attractive on the Omegas. I don't mind buying from the unauthorized dealers. Do a search on Google for Omega Seamaster and you can compare prices all day. I would still look on TZ.com and find a smoking deal on either watch. Brietling Colt's are very well made watches.

#4 ·
I have a Breit."Shark",have had it for a # of yrs,it has been discontinued,Repaced by the Super Ocean (I think)! No clutter & nice,only problem is the band link pin broke,can't be repaired(2 jewelers cked).need a new band,metal is over $230! Got a rubber diving band ,attached it,works & looks fine!! $230 or more for a band that can bust a pin & "need another"NEW band!!"No thanks"!!Only complaint I have with the Breit.!!
Jim

#5 ·
Breitling

Omega is a nice watch for the money (I've got two), but Breitling is a superior product. I had a great watchmaker whose dad had worked for Omega. He said that Breitling was a great watch!

#6 ·
Sherman Parish said:
Breitling definitely makes a great watch. You've got to like the look though. I get dizzy when I look at the dial on most Breitlings, no way could I ever read one at a glance.
Absolutely agree. The typical Breitling dial is a bit too busy for me.

#7 ·
Actually

Actually

most Breitling watches with the exception of the vintage models use a ETA based movement. I currently do not have my Breiltling catalog in from of me but if memory serves me the Colt automatic uses a decorated ETA 2894 the base movement of the Omega caliber 1110
They call it caliber 17

a ball bearing based automatic movement used my many, many swiss companies (ie Omega, Tag Heuer, Rado, Longines, Raymond Weil, Gucci, Swiss Army, Tissot-few models) It is a proven model used for many years.

The biggest draw back to Breitling is the lack of parts availibility to qualified repairman. Breitling will not sell movement, or casing parts to repair shop. They are trying to keep unqualified individuals (many timezone watchmakers) form destroying these well made fine timepieces. Now this is not a shot to all readers of Timezones, but I make my living fixing watches, just like many pistolsmiths here make thier living fixing guns, but we all know that there is nothing worse then having to fix some home smiths screwups. All that aside the chioce comes down to personal prefrence on style.

Either way you cannot go wrong , but i do agree woith buying from a Authorized retailer

Make sure that what ever brand you choose that they are purchased with serial numbers That means a lot when it comes time for service either in or out of warranty

Jamie

#8 ·
I own a few Tag's and a Omega Seamaster.
The Seamaster is by far my favorite watch to date.
I went in to buy a Rolex Stainless Submariner and tried the Seamaster on.
It was the watch I was meant to wear, nothing has felt better on my wrist.
Try them both in a shop that is authorized in both. Then make your decision.
Sorry I dont have much experience in the Breitling, but as others have said, too busy for my taste. I dont own one...

#9 ·
hi im new to this particular forum but ive been around the others for awhile...

i LOVE the look of the Breitling Navitimers but cant swing the coin for one. im currently wearing an Omega speedmaster professional. its the moon watch but mine has as glass back that allows you to see the movement. this is the only one of these ive ever seen. are they rare or am i just not seeing them around?

thanks

david

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.