Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is just for fun. Suppose you were limited to one pistol. This would have to function as your carry gun, house gun, etc. One additional limitation: whatever gun you pick would have to be box-stock. No aftermarket parts, no sight changes, no gunsmithing work to enhance (or just to gain!) reliability of function or accuracy. You would have to take it out of the box and use it as-is. Well, you can clean it first if you'd like. Oh, and I lied before, there is one last limitation - it has to be a production piece from a manufacturer - no "semi-production" pieces like Les Baer or Rock River Arms, etc.
So what would it be and why? What pistol would you be comfortable with right out of the box?

·
Registered
40 Posts
On 2001-05-14 09:47, Spackler4013 wrote:
This one is just for fun. Suppose you were limited to one pistol. This would have to function as your carry gun, house gun, etc. One additional limitation: whatever gun you pick would have to be box-stock. No aftermarket parts, no sight changes, no gunsmithing work to enhance (or just to gain!) reliability of function or accuracy. You would have to take it out of the box and use it as-is. Well, you can clean it first if you'd like. Oh, and I lied before, there is one last limitation - it has to be a production piece from a manufacturer - no "semi-production" pieces like Les Baer or Rock River Arms, etc.
So what would it be and why? What pistol would you be comfortable with right out of the box?
My Remingtion/Rand 1911A1 .45, strate stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For me it would have to be either my Colt defender or my SA Loaded. Both have worked well right out of the box with no modifications what-so-ever. Maybe I got lucky (that would be a first)but my SA has never had any problems. Sites have not come loose, the FLGR has not backed out on its own nor any other malfunctions. I just shoot the fool out of it, clean and oil it about every 750 rds. One thing I have noticed about my Defender is it likes a very light lubricant (like rem-oil)if I use anything heavier it has a tendency to misbehave.
-JHG-

·
Registered
581 Posts
Easy, H&K P-7.

Most accurate pistol I own and I havent done shit to it.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
138 Posts
If I lived in a city area it would be a Hi Power It has proven a little more reliable than the Kimber I own. If I lived where the threat would be of the 4 leg variety it would be a Ruger S/A in 44 or 45 either would work with the right load
Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ok, so it`s not a pistol.
A S&W Blue Mod 19 with a 2 1/2" barrel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-05-14 12:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
580 Posts
<~P7M8~>

·
Registered
129 Posts
Either my four-inch barreled Model 686 OR an HK USP, Sig or Beretta autoloader...while the 1911 IS a SUPERB fighting tool, I just don't trust 'em out-of-the-box...now, AFTER Dane or Wilson's or Vickers works 'em over...yeah, THAT'S the ticket!!!....mikey357

·
Registered
112 Posts
Kimber Custom Classic. Haven't "tricked" anything out, just cleaned really well, adjusted the extractor (after about 1K rounds), and replaced the stock mag with Wilson 8 round. I shoot it for fun, Friday night competitions, and it’s my carry gun.

Webb

·
Registered
407 Posts
If I could only have 1 gun Totally stock without being allowed any modifications or improvements it would be:
Glock 17
FN P35 9mm.

I like 1911 but only a customized one,

·
Registered
89 Posts
No question!
S&W Model 19 or 66 with a 4" barrel.
I shoot a box stock 4" 19 in IDPA. Minimum maintenance. Never lets me down.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I'll answer my own question:
I'd probably opt for a Glock, either a 19 or 23. In fact, somebody else could choose between the two for me - I'd be equally happy with either one.

I did carry my 4013TSW in stock configuration for awhile. The only changes I've made from stock at this point are a lower-power main spring and a slightly heavier recoil spring. I bought the thing well before the "agreement", and I like it very much, but in light of what has happened since, I would not buy another Smith unless the new owners make things right.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts