Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some of the top 'smiths opinions in reference to the "new" light rail mounts for the 1911. I talked to Dawson, and they have a light rail weaver type mount that affixes to the dustcover for the M3 light. I have been told from other smiths that know the 1911 series well that they didnt like that method, worried about the dustcover breaking, etc. so then I get back to the heavy long dustcover model, similar to what Springfield is making. This would be a dedicated SWAT gun/home defense gun for me. I am curious if the "single rail system with two allen screws" type mount will hold up. I am willing to try this if the general consensus is positive. I also know that Dawson puts out a good product and am not flaming him or his products in any way. Thanks in advance for any information. Regards, DougC

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Caspian makes an excellent rail mount for the 1911. Their idea is to use several screws to attach the mount. The US Spec OP community has used the mount is my understanding and was designed for them originally. I have seen several guns with that rail screwed on. I believe EGW did the work at a customer's request and was a nice job.

If I were to do it I would have someone of George's welding skill, TIG the same mount on the dust cover. No screws on my tactical gun, thanks.

The full dust cover guns get heavy in use nad have terrible swing weight. Both things that give the distinct advantage to a pistol in an operational environment IMO. Make the gun heavy enough and I'd opt for a MP-5 or a PDW.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have looked at several options. I don't think you have to worry about cracking the dust cover using the polymer M-3. If you go to the larger Surefire products, you may have some problems.

The Glock pistols had problems with the dust cover not flexing during recoil when the new Millennium lights were attached to the factory rails. As a result, they now have the new mounting rail which is attached to the trigger guard and places no stress on the dust cover. The sad part is that makes holsters etc. a problem.

FWIW

Rob

·
Registered
239 Posts
Check my review of the new SA TRP Operator over on the Production Guns forum. The gun is indeed heavy, and I haven't yet determined if I mind the weight. A bushing barrel gun without guide rod would certainly lose a bit of the added weight, and I wonder how much milling could be done to reduce weight of the slide and frame up front. I'm not too sure if adding a rail onto a standard dustcover would put the M3 light in the right position (too low) for proper activation. Dust cover cracking has occurred on IPSC guns with dust cover mounted scopes, so it's not inconceivable that adding a rail and light to a standard dustcover would be detrimental. Still, the M3 light and rail weighs less than a Weigand mount and PDP3. My review also points out other possibilities for the full dustcover design.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Dane, wow that was fast, and i concur about the weight thing. Our shield guys are carrying 92fs with the light mounts, but I am the rear guard humping an 870 with all kinds of dibolical goodies, and I have found that the .45 works better for me in close quarters. Hilton, thanks for your input, I have anxiously been watching your thread and know several IPSC guns frames that crapped out, hence my question. I am always willing to build another 1911, but alas, my wife is not! I appreciate the info and the forum. Be safe, DougC

·
Registered
136 Posts
Doesn't SureFire make a light mount rail that attaches through the use of a modified slide stop? IIRC the rail mount and lights go for between $150-300.

Does this system work well (i.e., does not effect reliability of pistol)? Does it need to be installed by a gunsmith or can I do it?

I would be interested in this mount if I could install it by myself (configuring it for home defense) and then take it off when I need to use a conventional holster (i.e, IDPA).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.