Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering the one of the following holsters for a 1911 and a Glock 19.

1. Milt Sparks/Alessi Watch Six Talon
2. Ky-tac Braveheart

I’ve read positive comments on both, but was wondering if anyone could elaborate on their experiences with them.

TIA,

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Milt Sparks Watch Six (with belt loop/snaps, not the Talon hooks) but I believe the holsters are identical in all other respects. This is absolutely the finest, most comfortable holster I own. I carry a full size Wilson CQB in mine, and it conceals very easily because of the very thin leather. I like it so much I've just ordered a second for my Kimber Ultra Carry.

One thing to think about is whether you will be unholstering your weapon frequently. The Watch Six doesn't have a reinforced mouth (as with, for example, the VersaMax), so reholstering is a little more difficult and the possibility of the mouth collapsing after a time increases. I therefore wouldn't recommend it for range use. I personally can live with this for two reasons: 1)I like the thinner design, and 2) I carry only for self-defense, so if the gun comes out, getting it reholstered is not my primary concern. I figure that in all likelihood the gun will be staying in my hand until the threat is gone and I can take my time reholstering.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You don't mention you primary use? Am a great fan of Lou's gear and also Elderton's Braveheart. My own take on Kydex is it's my own choice for the Hot, sweaty Summer's where I live but Lou's statement that "...guys who carry 16 hrs. a day usually prefer leather" is undeniable in my book {not a direct quote}.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I carried a 1911 of some sort for upwards of 16 hours a day, 5-7 days a week, depending on the deal. I rode in/flew airplanes and helos (C-206/210, C-402, C-12, Cheyenne, Slowtations (Citation IIs), UH-60, AS350), cars, laid out on landing strips, etc. Used a Sparks Summer Special, then went to the EX. Found the EX to be the most comfortable IWB at the time ([email protected]).

My agency's weapons policy was abruptly changed, but we could still carry our choice of DA autos. I (eventually) settled on the G-23/27 combo for plainclothes, and a G-22 for the helo. assault rig. I carried the G23 in a Sparks EX and tried the Bladetech IWB and Ky-TAC Braveheart. Went back to the EX for comfort.

I changed positions and got out of the aviation side of the outfit. Only flew a desk and a single-engined Ford. Shortly thereafter, our firearms policy was again changed, and we were mandated to carry issued G-19s & 26s. I have to take off my gun every time I go into a federal courthouse to testify, so I stuck with the EX and pocket holster. I soon found myself wearing the G-26 in a pocket holster around the office, and leaving the G-19 in the satchel for search warrants and the street. Decided to get a paddle holster for the G-19 and quit searching after I got a Wilson Tigershark. The decision for a paddle holster was simply convenience and being able to quickly double my armament w/o taking off my belt/pants and threading a holster through. This is also known as laziness, but having an SUV G-ride w/o a lockbox prevents me from keeping my 870, MP-5, and AUG-P as handy as I would like. I figure two small guns are better than one.

Recently, I got one of Dane's GWH IWB holsters by Alessi for my 1911. Good news and bad news. Gun more stable, holster/gun does not shift around, and seems more concealable and comfortable. Gun rides a bit higher. Bad news: Holster not as easy to take on and off. This is no big deal if you're wearing it for extended periods of time. The advantages in concealment & comfort far outweigh this quibble, and the GWH's method of attachment to the belt is much more stealthy. (Contrary to what you have heard, I cannot overemphasize the importance of being able to re-holster your weapon one-handed.)

Ever since the last two policy changes, it has been my custom to ditch the issue guns and put on a 1911 when I get home and off duty. Since the GWH was brought to my attention, my 1911s ride in it. I guess you could say the moral of this tale is: If I had to wear a G-23/19 in an IWB holster all day, I would unhesitatingly get a GWH or an EX. I would really rather carry a 1911, though. Buy a belt and get your 1911 and G-23 each a GWH from Dane.

But wait, there's more bad news: Using the GWH will spoil you. I find myself thinking I should buy a GWH for the GOVERNMENT's G-19, since it will make the balance of my career more... well, "comfy". Reason sets in: When I retire, I won't even need to carry a Glock! I can use that money to buy another GWH, or maybe...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andy on 2001-10-11 03:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well, I would recommend the straps over the "J"-hook arrangement in either Balde-Tech or Ky-Tac.

The rear stabilizing wing on the Braveheart IS flimsy. Mine broke off in relatively short order, but the holster still carried/concealed well w/o it. Eventually, the J-hook broke, too.

I can break anything, though. I even broke a Blade-Tech paddle holster off while bailing out of the G-ride to make an arrest. I'm a southpaw, and it caught on the seat belt buckle (I guess). I sent it back to Blade-Tech asking them to fix it, and they sent me an IWB holster AND a magazine/6P combo pouch in exchange. That would be what I call SERVICE. I use the kydex B-T IWB when it's really hot and I have to sit stationary/ clandestine surveillance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.