Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought 3 Colts from internet dealers recently, and in each transaction was promised a gun that was 98%, "all original," "unaltered". All those dealers were MORONS. I know that they weren't trying to be dishonest, because they were not able to properly articulate basic Colt nomenclature like the size/era of rollmark, feedramp/barrel throat condition, etc. In each instance, I must wonder what they were looking at. Yes, yes, buyer beware. All 3 guns will be perfectly workable as base guns for building up, but all will need to have the work of the Dremel demon undone and broken parts replaced. Barrels, slide stops, extractors, sights, grips, and ejectors are all easily replaced, but a screwed up frame is another thing entirely. For the good of all bargain hunters on the forum, here are some pics of an ORIGINAL Colt barrel and feed ramp. Look for these if you're trying to seek out an old Colt. I kinda got lucky in a weird way (the Dremel demon was weak all 3 times), but I will never buy another Colt that has an altered feed ramp. If you're wondering, all three guns came at about the same time, so my learning and experience came too late to reverse any of the deals. I ended up with 3 guns of exactly the vintages I was seeking, so I'm quitting now. The next projects will be on NEW parts kits.

Original Colt barrel from big letter Series 70, circa 1976. Compare to Kimber or other modern manufacture with wider throat.

Original, UNTOUCHED, feed ramp from the same gun. Note that the ramp is blued like the rest of the frame, and that horizontal machine marks are evident. Apparently Colt was notorious for making the ramps crooked on occasion, so look for it. I have one that's crooked, but it works. Go figure.

While I'm not bitter about my 3 new "original, 98%" Colts -- I was actually rather giggly about the nostalgia -- I don't want to see someone get a gun where the Dremel demon destroyed the piece completely. Shop wisely and patiently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
On the other hand, buying over the internet can be a rewarding experience. When I was searching for a particular Colt that was in limited supply, I found it at a place called "In Site Firearms Co." located in Norristown, PA. The Colt was as advertised, the customers service was excellent and within a day I had the firearm I was seeking. It was a great first time experience.

Thanks for the pictures.
SamColtFan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts