Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Used some PMC .223 brass that had off-center flash holes, which raised Hell with my decapping pins. Use their pistol brass in a variety of calibers with no problems at all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I refer to it as "Pretty Much Crap". I trade it away for Federal. A friend of mine was working up an IPSC (175 pf) major load for an STI and found the PMC stuff was blowing cases on a regular basis and this was new brass.

135 Posts
PMC

Pmc used to be the "value" ammo before S&B, Magtech, Wolf, etc. As such I have boatloads of it, and have never had trouble. I load 45's to low/moderate levels and it holds up like any other. I wish PMC still came in those old Camouflage boxes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PMC Problems

I have to agree with the negative comments on PMC brass. At least the .45acp stuff. I always used everything in my 1911's and had only occaisional malfunctions. I used mixed headstamp brass and most everything worked OK. Then I upgraded to match barrels (Nowlin) that are known to have chambers on the tight side. Everything shoots fine through them EXCEPT PMC. Failures to go into battery galore. So I started dropping PMC factory ammo (and everything else) into a case check guage and lo and behold PMC came out as the undisputed LOSER of rounds that would not drop in AT ALL. Even after resizing/reloading this brass would not drop in. And of course it won't feed right either.

I have about 5k pieces of .45 brass from every manufacturer and different lots and PMC brass is just big. Big is not good with a defensive autopistol. The only headstamp that will drop in all the way EVERY time is R-P (Remington). I switched to exclusively Remington and have case checked every round I use in IDPA and have ZERO malfunctions now. PMC will give me 1 out of 5 failures to chamber all the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I prefer it to Remington brass

Bob,
Did you have a problem with RP brass? I'd really be interested to know why you prefer PMC to it? The only brass that's cheap and easy to come by that I'd rate on the same level of reliability in feeding as RP would be WW or Federal. I've heard Remington is a bit thinner and that may or may not be a bad thing. Having not miked it I can't say.
RP has always had a rep for being small, even the military stuff, just what we need for feed reliabilility in auto pistols, particularly the 1911 that has a little less of a straight shot into the chamber as other pistols.
Mike

·
Registered
964 Posts
My experience has been that Remington brass is a bit thinner and softer than most other makes. I have used some PMC brass, mostly range pick ups. PMC seems to be pretty hard and maybe just a bit thicker than some, more like real military brass.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I only use Remington brass for cast bullet loads which have the bullet sized larger than the nominal diameter for the caliber. The brass is a bit thin, and I've had too many problems with case neck tension, especially with straight wall pistol cases. I don't recall having any problems with the brass's life, it seems to hold up well, but I really don't like having to re-adjust everything just to accomodate one manufacturer.

Bob

·
Registered
80 Posts
I shot their 357 loads for years, before all the other "discount" ammo arrived on the market. I loaded them up and shot them hot, and they lasted longer than anything else I could fine. Some of them were fired 30 or more times with full-house loads before the necks finally gave out, I was crimping the snot out of them back then.

Can't speak for the current lots, but my current favorite is S&B, the brass is TOUGH, and the ammo is cheap. I use the FMJ as blasting/break in ammo, then reload the brass with good stuff. Cheap and sturdy works for me!

PJ the Penny-Pinching Powder Pourer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.