Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good am to all,
I want to replace the slide and the barrel of P15- 40cal the barrel is 4and 1/4inches overall length wl slide is 7 and 1/4inches to a standard barrel 5 inches and a standard slide can I use any kind 40 cal a 1911 model and munafacturer and want model of para ordnance I can use Thanks

bai

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the short slide and frame variant of the P-16 but know that you will have to check your frame to see if it is compatible with a longer barrel and slide. The length of the dust cover is one potential problem; you have to know whether or not you have a stock frame. I would cal Para.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The slide for this pistol is basically a standard Commander slide. A 5 inch slide should work fine.
Your concern with replacing it, will be the rails. They must be no narrower than the frame rail groove, or it will be loose and inherently inaccurate.
If they're a little wider than the frame rails, they can be customized and narrowed to fit and accurize the slide to frame fit.
The barrel will need the Clark/Para ramp, of course.
The barrel will need to be fit to the frame lock up, the slide breach face, and the barrel bushing...then the barrel lock to slide locks.
This is best done by someone experienced.
I have 2 of these. I have used Caspian slides and Barsto barrels for similar work.
Good luck, but BE CAREFUL!
DAVE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bai, if this is what you want, you may be better off selling the Para 16/40 you already have and buying what you want. In 1999-2000 I had my Para 16.40 slide machined to remove "Para Ordnance' off the side, have front 'check serrations' cut and have it re-blued. the machine work and bluing ( for the exterior only -no new barrel-bushing-rail work, etc) was done by a (now) very well known gunsmith; and 20 yr ago just this cost me around $150.

So unless this is something you REALLY want and have DEEP POCKETS, sell the gun, then take the $ and buy what you want that is 'correct right out of the box.'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.