Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had time for a short session at the range today with my new P225. 62 rounds of PMC 115 FMJ. The slide failed to lock back on the first empty magazine. After that, it ran smoothly. Accuracy was very good. Two small irritations: the casings occasionally bopped me on the head. Glad I had a ballcap on. That, and the stock Sig bar/dot sights have to go. If I keep it long enough.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spackler4013 on 2001-09-22 17:51 ]</font>

· Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear your less than stellar experience with the 225. I have two of them, and have found them to run flawlessly.

They eat anything...have yet to have any issues with them. The fit, pointability and accuracy of them are just fantstic...ideal carry weapons.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overall, I was pleased. Nothing wrong with it, and the little irritations are things I can have corrected. The price was good. I won't part with it unless I find one of those "gotta-haves". Or unless the wife tells me to get rid of it. :smile:

· Registered
13 Posts
Spackler4013,

I don't know if this is relevant in your case, but....

Sig ships their pistols in a "brownish" packing grease that's meant for preservation and not at all for lubrication. It needs to be clean off and the pistol relube before shooting a Sig for the first time.

BTW I have been told by other Sig shooters and found to be true for my 220-1 that Sigs are "wet" guns. Ie, they function better when they're generously lube. Not soaking wet but enough that there's some seepage.

· Registered
9 Posts
I qualified with my deparment using the Sig 225 as my backup weapon. I shot Cor-Bon 115gr.+p during qualification. With this load I qualified 95% daytime, 99.5% nightime. I've never shot a 9mm during any qualifier as accurate as my Sig 225. I ran a 18.5# slide spring to absorb the pounding, along with a heavier firing pin spring. Only one failure to feed was experienced and it was due to magazine spring fatigue. I replaced all my European magazine springs with Sigarms mag springs; which are stronger and of a different color. A word of caution... Wolff mag springs for the Sig 225 have need of modification to fit under the follower. Their tops are too long.

Kurt Wickmann installed a short trigger on my Sig 225 and performed an action job as well. He is the best kept secret in Sig gunsmithy.

· Registered
9 Posts
I qualified with my deparment using the Sig 225 as my backup weapon. I shot Cor-Bon 115gr.+p during qualification. With this load I qualified 95% daytime, 99.5% nightime. I've never shot a 9mm during any qualifier as accurate as my Sig 225. I ran a 18.5# slide spring to absorb the pounding, along with a heavier firing pin spring. Only one failure to feed was experienced and it was due to magazine spring fatigue. I replaced all my European magazine springs with Sigarms mag springs; which are stronger and of a different color. A word of caution... Wolff mag springs for the Sig 225 have need of modification to fit under the follower. Their tops are too long.

Kurt Wickmann installed a short trigger on my Sig 225 and performed an action job as well. He is the best kept secret in Sig gunsmithy.

· Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a P225 too. I've only ran 150 rounds through it, but out of all of my Walthers and H&K's this is the one I shoot best by far.

The grip is unbelievably comfortable and it points quickly and naturally. I was shooting
sub-2" groups with this pistol at 25 yards with the first 50 rounds I put through it!
Awesome accuracy. I love this pistol.

I think I'll be doing a slide refinish though. I can tell it's going to wear rapidly. Sounds like it's time for a can of Brownell's Moly-Coat baking laquer.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've lost count of the rounds through my 225. Maybe close to 400. No failures to lock open on an empty magazine since the initial range session, and the empties now eject up and well away from me. I'm even warming up to the sights, although I would like a little wider notch on the rear sight. This gun is easy to shoot fast, and it's been scary accurate. I like the Sig a lot and would love to find a P228, although I don't think I'll find a deal like I got on the P225.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.