Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rfecently obtained a Sig P228. I have been looking for hicap magazines. I can only find references to P228/229 magazines. Are the P229 40 cal mags the same as P228 9MM mags? I have three ProMag hicap magazines with the P228. Anyone have any experience with ProMag?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glen, the 228 - 9mm are not interchangeable with the 229- .40 magazines. You may interchange between the .40 and the .357 Sig, but alas not with the 9mm. I have never had any luck with ProMags. That's probably why you can buy them cheap. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a Sig 228 new. It came with 2 post ban 10 round mags. I am thinking of buying a couple of hi-caps for it. Someone told me about CDNN Investments had some for $80.00 but when I called they said they were out at this time. I will keep looking for a deal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm in the same boat - looking for pre-ban mags for my 228. I am considering 226 mags. The 9mm 226 pre-ban mags seem to be readily available. Last I looked CDNN had them in stock for $50. The 226 mag sticks out about 1/2 inch in the 228, but otherwise is supposed to function properly. The 20 round mags for the 226 stick out of that gun, so having a mag that extends below the frame is apparently "normal' for those needing extra capacity.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
One thing to be careful of when using magazines longer than the stock ones is you can push them past the mag catch and cause a malfunction. Not a real problem at the range but definitely not good in a gun fight.

Some extended magazines, like most of the 10-round single-stack 1911 mags, have some type of positive stop on the mag or base pad to prevent this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.